We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

We are staying in La Romana at Casa De Campo in June.

According to the CDC, the entire area has Malaria but states the risk is low. (It qualifies this by saying it may be due to the low number of travelers.)

I have 2 questions: Are people there aware of malaria cases in the area? Is prophylaxis recommended?

Thank you very much.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

I am not sure where exactly you saw this info that "the entire area has Malaria", we haven't had any malaria warning in any resort area in Dominican republic since 2004 or 5. Of course they might be some cases along the Haiti border or in the mountains where people do not have access to running water, but majority of the tourists will not go there, they stay in resorts areas, same like you.

La Romana / Bayahibe area is visited by thousands of travelers from all over the world. Many cruise ships are coming to the port weekly, buses bring thousands of tourists from Punta Cana / Bavaro resorts on daily basis, so this is definitely NOT a low visited area :)

Most (if not all) travelers from UK get malaria pills because of the travel insurance, most people traveling from USA and Canada don't. But of course it is up to you what you decide to do.

Just a note: all health websites show general info for each country, the info has been there for years. If there is an outbreak of any disease or any other issues (not only health related) they will post an updated warning.

Happy travel

Denise

California
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

The info is from the CDC (Center for Disease Control). Here are the links. (I hope they work.) I know the CDC tends to be overly cautious. Which is why I was looking for the opinion of those with feet on the ground.

cdc.gov/malaria/…d.html

http://cdc-malaria.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

No one who lives here takes anti-malarial meds. No ex-pats, no Dominicans.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,073 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

More tourists have died from falling coconuts (a fact) than malaria in the last 7 years.

BObK

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

The links work, but obviously the data there are very old.

If you read the top of the table it says "Malaria Information and Prophylaxis, by Country(1 ) so when you look what the note #1 is it says:

The information presented herein was accurate at the time of publication; however, factors that can change rapidly and from year to year, such as local weather conditions, mosquito vector density, and prevalence of infection, can markedly affect local malaria transmission patterns. Updated information may be found on the CDC Travelers' Health website at www.cdc.gov/travel.

If you click on the link and go to Dominican republic page it doesn't say anything about malaria warning, and these are the current news for the country :)

And both guys above are right, we (I am a gringa:) do not take any malaria pills and yes the coconut statistics are right :)

Bring lots of OFF and spray yourself to make sure you are not bitten by mosquitoes (if any will be around at the time you are here).

Denise

California
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

Thanks!

And I will watch out for falling coconuts!

:)

7. Re: Malaria in La Romana? (Prophylaxis necessary?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:17