We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Just returned last night from GBP La Romana. While we liked the beach and hotel in general I think the tour operators have to address the sickness here. Our bus of toronto bound travellers only had one traveller who was not sick in the week. I was upset about spending 1.5 days of our vacation week trapped in the room but we spoke with more than one traveller who became so sick they were on an IV drip and staff wanted them to go to the hospital. Inside the gift shop of the hotel there was an alarming number of imodium sales. Towards the end of the week all the self serve soft drinks had been turned around to be staff serve only. I wonder if it may have something to do with a lack of hot water for 2 days. There were nice things about the hotel, like beautiful grounds and wonderful staff and I am not normally a complainer but I will certainly be contacting Air Canada Vacations to let them know this is a serious dangerous problem and I can't see how they can keep sending their guests to this hotel when it is having this kind of problem.

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

We were as well on that bus and 2 of my friends were on the IV drip with 1 encouraged to go to the hospital but didn’t and then was given an antibiotic pill and something more powerful than Imodium. The rest of us were down and out for 1 day, but it went away and then came back for her and she is still quite ill.

I do not like to fear monger but upon arriving home and reviewing the travel advisory for the DR because of cholera and reading the symptoms, I see a clear connection. I read on the Trip Advisor forums of the concerns ahead of going but felt assured by responses that if you stayed on the resort and did not drink out of the tap, you shouldn’t/wouldn’t need to be concerned. I have travelled quite a bit (not just resorts but as well off the beaten path places)and know what to do and what not to do when travelling to stay healthy and safe. Well, here we are 7 days later and I am concerned. I felt sorry for the new travellers arriving wide eyed with big smiles on their faces as they were getting off the plane looking forward to a week in paradise. While the resort was nice and the beach one of the most beautiful I have seen, I agree that Air Canada Vacations needs to figure out what’s up.

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/…cholera-cdrh-eng.php

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Take Dukoral before you travel, we do and never has any issues.

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Of course now that I am back I have researched Dukoral. Always heard about it but as I have never been sick before ( 20 + trips south), never really looked into it. (Ignorance is bliss) And yes, that will now be on my "to do list" before I head south next time.

toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

WHY IS AIR CANADA STILL USING THE GRAND BAHIA PRINCIPE LA ROMANA? We are booked to go there on the 23rd of Feb. and are terrified after hearing about the many people who have gotten quite sick at this resort! Does nobody of authority go in and check these places, especially after all these complaints? Does anyone know if ANYTHING is being done to get the management to do something about this? thanks. Barb

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

OMG! My family including 5y.o. kid+15 months old twins are booked to go this Monday Feb 4th! Yes, I would like to know as well if anything is getting done by management for this problem?! I am terrified now....

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

I too am worried. My husband and I are leaving tomorrow for a week at this resort. I have packed some Lysol wipes and am planning to wipe down everything in our room as soon as we get there. I will also be very diligent about hand washing, etc. Wishing you and your young family a safe and healthy trip!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Thank you a lot! We are gonna be there at almost same time!

toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

dear Tamila, good luck on your holiday. Please let us know how you and your family made out while there. I sincerely hope everything will be cleared up for you, if not maybe everyone who gets sick should sue air canada!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

Barb, Thank you a lot!

I booked this trip not with Air Canada, but Nolitour. I am actually thinking of giving them a call and see if they know anything about all this situation.

toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe Sickness

dear Tamila, that would be a really good idea. I am thinking of phoning Air Canada as we booked with them. Best of luck and please let us all know how you made out. Barb

Get answers to your questions about La Romana
Recent Conversations