We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

I was just about to book a trip to Dreams La Romana......then I read the US State dept warnings about the Dominican republic. So, I did not book. I am disappointed. I realize that one must use common sense when out and about where ever you are, but the Dom. Rep. sounded kind of bad.

Any thoughts about this. I will be traveling with a young child. We were going to fly into PC, which sounded like there have been problems on the highway form PC to LRM and even at the resorts.

I am looking for some honest feedback. Thank you

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

It's all rubbish. The new highway from PUJ to LRM is rapid and safe. A total bunch or rubbish this report or whatever. Look at the date and/or author.

Dreams is a great spot.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Wow cant believe all this. DR is as safe as any other 3rd world country. Just use common sense. Enjoy urself.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,073 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Actually safer than most third world countries. The state dept. warning is very old and concerns a problem leaving the Santo Domingo airport that was quickly resolved by the local authorities.

Use common sense and you will be fine. We have lived here for over 7 years and have never had a problem or felt threatened.

ENjoy your trip

BObK

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

So much of that State Department Consular information sheet is information recycled over and over for years. Like "although kidnapping is not common in the Dominican Republic, 2 US citizens were kidnapped in 2007 and released unharmed, in separate instances." Lol. It also relays an incident in Cabarete that occurred maybe 4 or 5 years ago, where a tourist shook hands with a local, and the local put drugs in his hand and immediately the cops were there to extort money. (That's one side of the story anyway).

Comatin America and the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic is much safer than average.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

So much of that State Department Consular information sheet is information recycled over and over for years. Like "although kidnapping is not common in the Dominican Republic, 2 US citizens were kidnapped in 2007 and released unharmed, in separate instances." Lol. It also relays an incident in Cabarete that occurred maybe 4 or 5 years ago, where a tourist shook hands with a local, and the local put drugs in his hand and immediately the cops were there to extort money. (That's one side of the story anyway).

Compared to most other countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic is much safer than average.

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Hola: You have nothing to worry about. We are heading back to the DR for our 14th time, and we have never had any instances, ever. You will love the DR and you should have no concerns. As said jjust use common sense, as you would anywhere.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

Dear All

Thank you for all of the positive responses. I appreciate the feedback. I have been all over the Caribbean, but never to the DR. I've never had a problem anyplace I've traveled, and have plenty of common sense. I think I will book this trip afterall!

nyc
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

The area you are visiting is pretty good safety wise. Its not overly populated with resorts like the other areas of the island . Taxi from puj is 45 minutes drive, 1 1/2 hr from sdq. Dreama la romana is a pretty secure property as well.

The reports of crime was in regards to driving after 11 pm from sdq to laromana . When i traveled last year, i arrived at sdq at 4am and decided to stay overnite in santo domingo because of the concern . It turned into a good sightseeing oppurtunity for our first day in the DR, but it wasnt really necessary. I could have had breakfast at the airport and wait for daybreak (6 am).

Have a great time with you vacation. Stick with dreams la romana, its a great choice. The town of bayahibe , outside the resort is not bad.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 17:17
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

I would like to read the report.

This country is as safe as any country in the world (not only a 3rd world country). When I read the news from all over the world sometimes I feel it might be even safer here :)

I guess the reports are written by people that haven't been here and are getting only bits and pieces of info online. That is not correct.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

The report came out in dominican today and telemundo tv here in ny. Sometime in spring 2012. Report went on to say policia nacional

Would step up police presence in this segment of the highway.. Also mention of police impersonators. This issue is resolved from what i understand.