We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From Luxury GBPB

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From Luxury GBPB

Hello to all that have been waiting. Yes the grand opening was Nov.01/13. We (3 couples) flew out of Toronto on Air Transat. We were the 4th couple to register in this beautiful looking resort. BUT looks are deceiving. There were MANY issues all week long for all of us, (and others). I should mention that this is still a major construction site, noise from 7 am until 10 pm everyday. We heard that the opening was pushed up two weeks and they were not ready. There are power outages at all times of the day, at breakfast or dinner all of a sudden no power. Plumbing issues, toilet not flushing, water pressure, hot water or lack of hot water ,Water does not drain fast enough (even though there is little water pressure) resulting in flooding washroom. Telephones didn't work so no room to room calls and you could not call front desk, also could not call for room service. As far as the beach goes, yes its murky and rocky, not a natural beach, sand was trucked in. Alcohol is low grade, premium booze extra cost, from $4 to $9.50 per once and they do measure the shot.We were treated well by the people that served us in the restaurants and bars. The rooms are very nice just as their website shows. Hope they have their sh** together by the time you travel there. I believe they screwed up by opening two weeks too soon.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

wow, hopefully they get things sorted out by the time we go in March.

Thanks for your post on the forum, are you planning on writing a review? Any pictures?

Triton, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

curly50,

How was the Wi-Fi in the rooms and how much did it cost?

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

yikkkkkkes!!!!!

Yes, hopefully in another 3 months things will be ironed out....

I thought that in Bouganville, premium drinks were included?

Yes.. would LOVE LOVE to see pictures... was there a private area of the beach for Bouganville?

thanks

Charlene

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

Hi to all....The Wi-Fi at the Bouganville was slow and not working most days, spoke to a couple from the UK that were constantly at the front desk complaining as they could not connect to Wi-Fi as they were trying to be on line to run their small business back home...As far as free premium drinks they are very limited and only at the lobby bar...All the premium drinks were free the first night and they wanted to charge me the second night until I got upset with them then I got premium all week at no cost...I like my Remy Martin at night, then someone in our party asked them to bring Canadian Club to pool bar, and they did. As far as the beach goes, there is a roped off area and LOTS of lounge chairs and lots of shaded areas for those that can't handle the sun (like me).... NOT my intention to bad mouth this place as it is and will be a very nice place once completed. Also I believe the prices will increase once completed. The people that serve are superb and will go out of their way for you, the front line people (most still in training) need to improve. As far as pictures, we don't take camera anymore. PS, take bug spray, ($15 dollars small can "off" at resort.). we are full of bites.

Cheers

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
759 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

Thanks curly, I really appreciate your review.

Do you think the resort will be fully finished by mid February?

Did you take any tours?

Thanks

Charlene

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

Thanks for your review Curly! Can you tell me how long was the bus ride from Punta Cana airport to the resort and was it a direct transfer or did the bus stop at different hotels?

Thanks

Richard

oakville ont. canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

Hi To All....I believe the Bouganville will be completed soon especially with Christmas around the corner...I say this because there are many construction workers on site. We did not do any tours this time. We decided not to do tours this trip as we have done many in the past as we go to Punta Cana two times per year... The bus ride took 1 hour 40 minutes and made no stops. ( can't say yours will be direct ) We were surprised that the bus was such a small one for about 30+ adults... and our luggage was put in a trailer towed by the bus...

Cheers

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

We just got back on November 9th, as of the 9th the bar beside the lobby was almost finished. The were putting the las minute touches on it before setting up the furniture.

The second building was being worked on non stop, I did not go in but the cutting of the saws and hammering was on going the whole wweek I was there.

Even when the second building is finished there is major construction to the other side of the pool. If you are placed in the end section for sure you will hear lots of noise or if you are at the beach and pool there is lots of noise from cutting, dump trucks and so on. I peeked through the fence and some of the area is just dirt and digging so it will not be finished anytime soon

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

After snow here yesterday, I am so looking forward to going. I will put up with a little construction to exchange for the sun!

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back From Luxury GBPB

happy to see you have the right additude for your holidays, at least you are aware of the situation and it will not be a surprise. For us it was a complete surprise as the hotel website and the company I booked with had no mention of the construction. I do hope you have a great holiday

Get answers to your questions about La Romana
Recent Conversations