We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

We just got back from a wonderful vacation at Bouganville. Because I was faithfully reading everything posted here before I left I thought that the right thing to do would be to answer any questions. Ok, fire!

Triton, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

How was the food and is construction still happening now? Did you fly into La Romana or Punta Cana and if Punta Cana how long of a drive is it?

Edited: 06 January 2014, 19:42
Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
ontario
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Hi there! we are heading down feb 3-10 and getting excited!! what building did you stay in? what would you recommend building wise? do you have the email for the resort? how was the weather? would you go back? did you take any day trips and if so which ones?

i have a lot lol

thanks in advance :)

Italiandutch

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

I'll be you're getting excited!! The e-mail I used to contact the resort was customerservicebplrm@bahia-principe.com. Responses took a few days but I always got one.

Ok, so first things first. We flew into Punta Cana and drove. It took about an hour and a half. No problems there but expect close quarters on departure in that airport! Obviously the amount of traffic is a little much for the teeny airport. We waited on the tarmac for about 20 minutes until they had a place for us to go. It really wasn't bad except that we were desperate to see the resort! ;-)

Food was great for an all inclusive at this price. The grill restaurant by the beach had a lot of flies during lunch that were landing all over the salads and food. We just went to the other (indoor) buffet to escape this and consistently had great experiences. On the last day we went to the grill again and the food was covered with saran wrap. I guess other people had this same problem! Hopefully now that problem is remedied.

The a la carts were all very good. The French restaurant (Le Gourmet) and the Grill restaurant (on the bouganville side, I think it was Corales?) were the two stand outs. I had an AMAZING beef tenderloin cooked PERFECTLY at Corales. My only complaint there was that there were little to no 'healthier' choices at the Italian restaurant. My chicken was enormous and deep fried. Still delicious though! I was also quite impressed with the house wine. For an all inclusive it was great- if you didn't like it there was a wine list. We never had a problem with drinks though. Well, until the morning that is. ;-)

The weather was absolute perfection for us. Hopefully we got our Vitamin D for the year! I sure hope that you get the weather we did.

We stayed in building 52. It was fantastically close to the lobby, buffet and pool but not much of a view unless you enjoy the path and lobby. For us this was a non issue because we wanted to spend as little time as possible in the room. What was nice was that in the evenings there was often live entertainment in the lobby that we could sit out on the balcony and enjoy if we were feeling hermit-ish. I wish I knew the numbers of the other buildings but couldn't recommend a room without a map. Sorry!

We only did one excursion because we only had a week and wanted to relax. We did the Saona VIP which we booked through the resort. This was the highlight of the trip and I can't recommend it enough. Interesting fact though- the tour was French and English speaking, not Spanish. Our guide was Jessica, a wonderful French Canadian! We saw the other Saona tours passing us on crowded smaller boat while we had an entire catamaran for the 30 of us. We were very glad we'd paid for the upgraded tour. Depends I guess on if you wanted to party or stretch out on the boat. To each their own! One thing I would mention on that tour is that I wouldn't recommend it for people with mobility issues unless you're content to stay on the back of the Catamaran. (and why on EARTH would you want to do that?)

We would definitely go back to the Dominican but probably not to this resort. The ONLY reason for that is the location being so far from everything. That was the appeal for us this time and it was perfection. Usually we spend longer and do more. We're also pretty big beach people but hey, everyone knows not to expect a perfect beach if they do any research at all. We satisfied that need with the trip to Saona! And for what you pay to go to Bouganville you most certainly get your money's worth. Tipping goes a long way at this resort. You are remembered. Not as much at the buffet but definitely with drink service.

Well hopefully that helped if you're still reading at this point! If I can answer any more questions let me know! We had an absolutely AMAZING time and were completely relaxed. Try the mamajuana! Just don't try too much of it. lol. Also, if you want a fresh coconut you can walk down the beach to the venders and they will shimmy up a tree and get a couple down for you. I think we paid $3 US for 2. Then we went to the bar and added rum. We made a lot of people very curious and jealous...This was also a great place to buy any art.

If you don't have a blast at this place it's on you! Someone was making my food, my drinks and my bed for a week, we had fantastic weather and we didn't get sick. I was a happy camper. :D

Karly

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Hi Karly,

Thank you for a lovely review... I think we can all sit back now and just count our days until we all go.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1- Construction.. is it still going on and if so is it noisy

2- Did you go in the Ocean. I don't mind the cloudy water, just wanted to know if was nice to walk into (stoney, seaweed etc)

3- Was there entertainment at night on the Bouganville side, or did you share with La Romana?

4- Was there any issues with the La Romana guests coming over to Bouganville?

5- What kind of mobility issues would you say wouldn't be good on your excursion.. I have knee issues, would this be a problem? Is it difficult to get on and off the catamaran?

6- How was the wifi?

7-Did you get to meet Alexis he used to be at Cayo Leventado. I heard he is at Bouganville to help them get up and running.. Im hoping hes there when we go in Feb.. Just loved him!!

Ok I will stop asking now... ;) ;)

Thanks again

Charlene

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

This is why I love tripadvisor. Everyone has so many questions like me! ;-) I'll try and address your questions Charlene...

1. construction for us was a non issue. There were some workers constructing palapas on the beach and a few people touching up paint but nothing that would be bothersome at all. Just normal resort maintenance stuff.

2. I absolutely went into the ocean- lots! There weren't rocks or anything bothersome. There was a quick drop off but you could easily see it. No jellyfish that I was aware of, and I'd read enough about that to be a bit concerned. There were a few fish though, and the first time one swam by me I jumped a little. (since you couldn't see them.) But that was more funny then anything else. My boyfriend laughed at me and then jumped when one swam into him. It had us both in stitches. Perhaps it was the strong drinks we'd had first? ;-P

3. Entertainment on the Bouganville side was limited to live music in the evenings. I actually liked this. You had the option of going to see a big show with loads of people on the other side or sitting in a quiet lounge and having your drinks served right to you on the Bouganville side. We were lucky enough to be there for New Years and after the countdown we went over to the other side for the ongoing party. It's nice to be able to pick your entertainment to suit your mood.

4. One day I was sitting by the pool and heard a big splash. By the time I looked up from my book there were 3 kids already out of the water being reprimanded by security. My boyfriend and I were like,'where did that security guy even COME from?!'. So they're really good and quick about it. On the beach you'll get a few passers by but since there are topless sunbathers the kids are few and far between. As for others I didn't notice anybody.

5.Your mobility issues for the excursion would have to be much worse than knee issues. There were some elderly people on our boat and they just stayed on the back of the catamaran. A very large woman had no issues getting to the front, but had a lot of difficulty getting out of the water because of how narrow the swim ladder was. They had to lower a boat and meet her at shore after snorkeling. It wasn't a major issue for anyone but it would have been mortifying, and I personally wouldn't like to be in that situation. If you can transfer from one boat to another and a boat to the shore then you will be just fine. And honestly, it really was the highlight of our trip and so so beautiful. Also, if you can find the massage therapist on the beach who has braces (I can't remember her name unfortunately) she gives an AWESOME massage.

6. The wifi was $8 for 60 minutes. We didn't need it that badly so we passed. I saw quite a few people on their laptops though so it couldn't have been that bad- including a person who played solitaire for a very long time. That's neither here nor there but who comes to paradise to play solitaire....?! Just an observation. lol.

7. I didn't meet an Alexis but I did meet many marvelous staff! The pool bartender is especially delightful- I believe his name was Eduardo? Oh I'm so terrible with names it's an insult to the great service we received.

Have so much fun!

Karly

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Thank you again for the wonderful answers....

With todays-25 weather here. I wish I was in +25 there lol

Do you have any pictures? :) :) :)

Thanks again

Charlene

Palmerston, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Thank you for the wealth of information! Very much appreciated. We leave on Jan 23 :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

Hi

Just got back today and agree with every answer to the questions. Couple details to add on to... The wifi strength and signal was pretty good but only 60 mins per day per device and it's web only - no email connection directly on the iPhone - had to use web mail.

I was also in building 52 on the ground floor so everyone walking by could see right into our room. Try to ask for a room away from the path.

I took the non VIP tour of Saona and loved going on the speed boats over and catamaran back The snorkeling was very good.

The breakfast buffet is better on the other side (more North American-type breakie items ). Book your a la crates as early as possible because they often claim it's busy bit isn't at all.

I would go back - it's just lovely!

And Alex was great!

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

hi, does anyone know of a site which I may use to see a map of the buildings of Bouganville. We are going jan l9 and I want to request a building in advance. thanks.

ontario
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from LGBP- any questions?

i was trying to find the same thing but no luck. on the actual bahia web site it has a map but the bougainville buildings are not numbered. i was checking out reviews and at the end of the reviews it offers the link to "more room tips". i have read some of those and most buildings that people are saying are great to be in are 51,52,53 but i wish i knew where they are located... i will keep looking and will post if i find it.

Italiandutch

:)