We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

NY
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

Hello,

We are toying with the idea of taking a flight that arrives at 1:00 AM in Santo Domingo. My girlfriends are afraid of driving through the towns at that time of night.

1. Should we be afraid?

2. Should we get the airport transfers?

3. Can we take a taxi from the airport at that time of night?

Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

I would feel uncomfortable taking a late night drive to my resort. However, many people do it.

Laromana is about an hour away. I would be more comfortable arriving at 5 am, and leaving to my resort by 6 am.

Taxis will be avaliable.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 04:50
NY
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

What if we got the round trip transfers through JetBlue? Would that be a better idea?

nyc
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

I prefer just getting a taxi at the line than pre arranging transport.

The shuttle or pre booked transport might stop at other resorts or have you waiting for other guest. You might feel more comfortable with other passengers at night.

I like the idea of having my own space and not waiting for anyone else.

Taxi is $100 apx, each way up to 4 passengers, total.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

If you decide to drive by yourself at night (not really suggesting it) you won't go through Santo Domingo, the airport is on the east side of the city. It is mostly drive on the highway except the last part, about 6 miles are on the regular road that is just being repaved and will be finished soon.

But I think, since you don't know the way and will be going at night, you won't enjoy the drive anyways, so I would go for a taxi. There are plenty of them waiting at the airport. From my experience most tourists don't use the car while here, so why to pay a car rent and let the car sit at the parking lot.

Denise

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

I answered your other post. No, you don't need to be afraid, just take your normal precautions, take a cab or transfer and go for it.

6. Re: Taxi Question-Flying to Santo Domingo, staying in LaRomana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:15