We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

We are going to Dreams La Romana on Monday, the 26th and I am a bit concerned reading about Chikungunya - the new mosquito born virus currently spreading in the Caribbean and DR in particular. Does anyone know if it is a concern for someone heading to a resort? Do they have any mosquito control there? Have there been any cases?

I am travelling with 3 little kids and elderly parents and this on top of all the food poisoning reports really bothers me...

Thanks!

Nataly

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

This virus has been around Caribbean for a long time, so it's not new and also it's not particularly in DR. If you read news from other islands it's everywhere the same.

All resorts do fumigate all the time, so you might not see any mosquitoes at all. If any, that would be around dinner time and those are not the mosquitoes you are talking about. So far I haven't heard about anybody having problems.

By the way in the past few weeks I met many people staying at Dreams and none of them said anything about food poisoning or being sick, they all loved the food and the resort.

Happy travel

Denise

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

Hi,

this virus arrived in the Caribbean only last December. To make a long story short, there is a certain risk that you will get chikungunya but statistic tells us that the risk that you will be involved in an accident on your way to the airport are higher..

But if you will get it, you will never forget the side-effects.

I wish you good luck.

Erich

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

I am going to Dreams in one week. How did it go for you? Did anyone get sick?

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

I am going to Dreams in one week. How did it go for you? Did anyone get sick?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

There are thousand of tourists coming here all the time, and so far I haven't seen a post about a tourist getting it. Make sure you have a mosquito spray and use it! OFF works very well!

Happy travel

Denise

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,060 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

Your repellent should contain at least 25% DEET. Off Deep Woods has this amount

BObK

7. Re: Chikungunya (new mosquito born virus in the Carribean)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:15