We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Which La Romana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Hello,

We would like to go on vacations March or April with our 9 year old son. It will be his firt time in the Caribbean. He has never seen the ocean before. He is very excited about having the chance to do some snorkeling. He practiced in a lake all summer and he has great expectations about doing it in the Caribbean. I hesitate between going at Holguin (Blau Costa Verde) or Bayahibe (Sunscape Casa del Mar). What's best for snorkeling. I would especialy appreciate doing the snorkeling from the beach so that he can go as often as he wishes. Can anybody can compare those destinations and give recommendations ? Thank you.

Johanne

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

A small point, and it may not be all that important to you anyway, but Holguin is on the Atlantic and not the Caribbean. Casa del Mar is indeed on the Caribbean.

The snorkeling is pretty great on most days at Casa del Mar and the beach never has to worry about red flag days (as I understand you have to deal with in Holguin). There is also no tide along that coast.

I haven't snorkeled Holguin myself so can't provide a comparison. It looks beautiful though and is a place I'd like to try one day, but for now I'm enjoying Casa del Mar too much!

I have my Casa del Mar snorkeling pictures posted at outdoors.webshots.com/album/279730537QeaRsf

I'd be happy to answer any CDM/Bayahibe questions, if it will help you decide.

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

DE
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Not been to Holguin, so I've nothing to add about that. Just to add something to the mix...

All time best snorkeling from the beach I've seen at an AI resort is the Akumal Beach Club in Akumal.... and when you get tired of the reef and turtles in Akumal Bay, you can walk 1/2 mile to Half Moon Bay, and a bit further to Yal Ku lagoon.

You can see the reef well here in this aerial shot. The barrier under the 'Akumal Bay' label on the pic is predominately elkhorn coral... some nice, some dead.

http://locogringo.com/maps/tour/122b-t.html

PS, you can move up and down the coast, navigating with the arrows, on this tour. Muchas gracias to the folks at LocoGringo.com for making this available.

Bayahibe has some good snorkelling off the beach at CdM, but the *best* is about 4-500 yrds offshore. Inshore, there are a copule of patch reefs that are full of fish and quite entertaining, but not as nice as further offshore... or at Akumal.

kent
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Hi,

Went to Cuba last year and snorkelling was fantastic, we stayed at Playa Pesquero and there were plenty of fish all the way along the beach and the hotel was fantastic as well.

We have just returned this week from iberostar hacienda in Bayahibe and i would say their is no comparison ,as Bayahibe has more of a sandy beach and were not many fishes.

We are keen snorkellers and last year we were in the sea every day but this year only twice. Hope this helps Regards, Caroline

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

sedgy, do you have snorkeling pictures that I can see? I'm always curious as to the variety of fish seen in which areas or bodies of water. What did you see in the water off Cuba?

Thanks!

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

P.S. The snorkeling is far better at the reefs off the beach at Casa del Mar than from the beach at IHD. I've heard that their underwater igloo thing makes it easy to see some fish and it's great in its own way, but it doesn't match the opportunity at Casa del Mar.

Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Thank you for your comments and recommendations.

Surfindad, the Akumal Beach resort in the Mayan Rivera is only a 3 stars hotel and it his more expansive than 4 stars CDM or BCV . Can we compare ? You said the snorkeling was very good, but what about the hotel itself and grounds ? Nice rooms and good food ? Fun for kids ? We don't need luxury accomodations but still want something nice and very clean.

Any more coments would be welcome.

Thanks.

Johanne

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

johanne70:

Hi:

Heres food for thought!!

We were in DR at IBHD this February past. The snorkelling was not the best from the beach nor on a couple of tours we went on.

We are going to Curacao this coming March----Curacao is known for snorkelling and diving. We are staying at the Breezes Superclub resort AI. Tons of activities for kids/teens and it is a bit less pricier than when we stayed at the IBHD in DR. Lots of people we know have gone and it has been recently renovated---very plain but clean accommodations and compares to a Holiday Inn. Food is good with large variety, beach is great, snorkel right off the beach. Check it out!!!

Also, check out: www.curaco-actief.com

It is an excellent site with all activities and places to dive/snorkel and tour in Curacao.

Let me know what you think---it is an island below the hurricane belt, sits beside Aruba as one of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao), Dutch island that speaks english & dutch, and the whole island is choloronated so the water is safe anywhere to drink.

good luck,

Taly

DE
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

I'd say that CdM and ABR are pretty equivalent... food selection (in terms of # of dining options) at ABR is more limited. CdM is twice as big, and I don't think the beach is as nice. Both have a similar 'vibe' and walking access to a local, safe town (Akumal vs. Bayahibe).

Check out reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499445-d249916…

I like both.

Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

I have made my choice. We booked at the CDM for 1 week March 17. I had a very good "kidz fly and stay free" with Sunwing. So I booked with them. Thanks to everybody who gave me comments about the best snorkeling. Johanne

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Johanne, my mom and I arrive at noon on the 20th! It would be great to meet you for a drink and snorkel...not in that order!

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best snorkeling Bayahibe vs Holguin (Cuba)

Hey---sounds like there will be lots of forum people at CDM that week. Maybe we can arrange a Forum get-together!

Get answers to your questions about La Romana