We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little things to bring to Dominican??

Sandwich...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Little things to bring to Dominican??

Can you let me know little things that make your trip easier,I have heard dollar bills, lightbulbs, beer coozies,etc.. anything you would Definatley bring to make your vacation better??

Peoria Illinois
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

I have brought washclothes and an alarm travel clock as most Punta Cana resorts don't have these items also my bar of soap lots of small denonanations of $. We love Punta Cana it is beautiful!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

we didn't bother this year with an alarm clock - we just kept the curtains open which was good enough for us to wake up every morning around 7 a.m. It may have been the "vacation internal alarm clock".

Surprisingly, this year, we packed just the "usual" stuff without any real major differences in the stuff that we'd bring, and we made out just fine.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

One thing I have learned to pack is a dryer sheet (or 2) in my suitcase to help absorb any mildew smells.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

verizon88...I have been going to the DR for nine years now, so my list has grown. Here is what I make sure I have:

-clothes line with clothes pins (buck store)

-suction cup to hang wash puff up in the shower

-bug spray with deet

-the usual, imodium, advil, band-aids, hand cleaner etc.

-small purse size flashlight (power has always gone out)

-candles

-travel pillow/comes in handy for the beach chairs (blow-up)

-floater for pool (blow-up)

-polysporin

-small change purse to carry keys/money at beach area

-extra card to keep in air conditioner (make sure it is not valuable)

-spanish translation book (purse size)

-snacks/pringles/peanuts/pretzels (goes good with beer)

-little restrauant size peanut butter/cheese whiz

That's about it for the unusual. It sounds like a lot but I buy small bottles or things that litterly take up no space.

Hope this helps!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

We just returned from Iberostar Bavaro...

- we were in a non-renovated and then a renovated room - both had a form of clothes line.. you pulled it from the wall of the patio and there were a couple of "lines" to hang your wet belongings. Doesn't hurt to bring something to hang your wet stuff just in case.

- we brought a flashlight and bug spray - we didn't either... power didn't go out once.. we had no prolems with mosquitos

- one thing that I had never experienced was the card to power the airconditioner. The room we were in was actually powered by sensor. The first room we were in did have the "outlet" to insert your card to keep the conditioner going. The next room we were in kept going.

- a cooler to keep your drink cold is a must.. it is hot there

- bills to tip the maids, waitresses, bar tenders, etc.

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

Bring a sun hat too and extra sunscreen. Very expensive if you have to buy it there and it's yucky and doesn't absorb like the good kind you get in the states. My favorite is Coppertone oil free and Neutrogena dry lotion. I bring both SPF 30 and 15.

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

Insulated mugs :-) those travel things that you have in the car a lot of canadians use these, so will know what I mean!

I swear by the lush toiletries (www.lush.com) their shampoo bars are amazing! I have very long curly hair, and they even work on my hair! They also double up as a detergant for clothes for a hand wash, and they smell gorgeous! Whats more they're 100% vegetarian friendly, and not tested on animals and last ages! 2 or 3 bars do me for the entire trip! (when I go through 1 large bottle of shampoo in a week)

Small bottle of pure teetree oil and lavender oil! Their benefits are endless!

Pre written notes for staff members in spanish, I use an online translator because my spanish is awful!

Small bottle of fabric conditioner! (Those small travel bottles) if you also take some empty spray bottles, fill one with tee tree and water (about 5 drops to the rest water) it makes a good addition to your mozzie repellant... another bottle with 1 part fabric conditioner, 4 parts water, squirt your beach towels each evening and hang up to dry, softens and smells gorge! Also works for clothes, and even bedding! Reminds you of home! (that is if you want reminding!)

Lilos (pool floaters) make a great extra cushion for sunloungers! Or even, if all the loungers are taken!

Socks! Keep a pair in your beach bag! If your flip flops break and you're on the beach in the scorching sand, slip them on, 'til you get to your room (I suggest the small trainer liners, to look a bit more trendy!)

A smile! It'll get you anywhere in the dominican! Think of the locals as a mirror! If you smile, they smile back, if you frown, they frown! Go with an open mind, and you'll trully appreciate this wonderful country!

Sandwich...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

why insulated mugs?? will the bartender fill it up with beer?? If so Im bringing a BIG GULP from 7-11!!!

Halifax
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

Insulated mugs keep your drinks cold, sand out of your glass -- and best of all keeps lots and lots of plastic cups out of the landfill!

And, yes, they will fill them at the bar.

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little things to bring to Dominican??

I love my Bubba Keg; I know everyone raves about them on here but it was such a worthwhile investment. I don't know how they work but that ice stays frozen all afternoon in the 90 degree heat and humidity!

I mostly just use it for ice water, it's so BIG (32 oz). But I bought 2 of the smaller Bubbas (16 oz) for our upcoming trip so now we can use them to put the beer, etc in too!

Everyone (vendors, staff) wants to trade us stuff for them too as they don't have that brand there. I got mine at Target in the automotive section.