We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antibiotics

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
214 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Antibiotics

I am leaving for the Majestic in about 3 weeks and have never been to the DR. My Doctor prescribed me Doxycycline for Malaria and Traveller's Diarrhea. My fiance's Doctor prescribed Cipro for her. Does anybody have experience with these drugs? I'm reluctant to take the Doxycycline as I hate to take drugs as a "preventative" measure if you don't need them. Just curious to see if anybody found a benefit of having some form of antibiotic.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antibiotics

Just make sure that you are able to be in the sun and drink alcohol while on these drugs. Many of the drugs for Malaria are sunsensitive and advise you to avoid alcohol. Both Doxycycline and Cipro I believe are sunsensitive and can cause nausea.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antibiotics

Call your doctor.........take no advice from nobody who has zero medical background.

New Castle, PA
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antibiotics

I am an RN and both Cipro and Doxy cause sunsensitivity. You even remain sensitive to the sun for a time after discontinuing Doxy. So these are not meds that you will want to take if going to enjoy the sun.