We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holy week

toronto,can
1 post
Save Topic
holy week

wondering what to expect during holy week in punta canta

do they shut down shops and activities at resorts?And what days

would be most affected?

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holy week

when is holy week?

sorry if i am totally ignorant :-)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: holy week

We are going March 30th - April 6th. Our travel agent told us we would be there for holy week. When we asked her what that meant, we were told there were no motorized water sports.

I also just looked it up and found that holy week is from March 31 - April 8th. I also found the following info:

Important information on Holy Week Watersports Ban:Watersports Ban during Holy Week - the exact dates change from year to year, however, Holy Week is considered the 7 days leading up to and including the Monday after Easter Sunday. People can swim, beaches are open, but NO watersports, motorized or other wise (not even snorkeling). These guidelines are a little vague because actual enforcement by the local government does vary greatly from one year to the next and one area to another. Each year the actual policies are not published by the local authorities until just prior to Easter.

I hope this helps.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holy week

I wonder what water sports has to do with religion?

nj
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holy week

coco, we're going 3/30 - 4/5. Where are you staying?We're at Paradisus PC. Any kids, we've got a 10yr old boy.

I've heard differing info on this - there were earlier threads. Thought we could still snorkel, though. Didn't care much for the other water sports.

Whatever it ends up, I know we'll have fun

Woodstock, Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: holy week

I read on TA that the reason they ban watersports is due to the large number of holidayers in the water at this time--meaning the actual native Dominicans enjoy the beaches on their time off during Easter and that could pose a hazard with motorized equipment.

Pgh,PA
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: holy week

We are also going to Punta Cana during Holy Week. I received our reservations thru our TA/Apple vacations stating a Travelers alert regarding the motorized sports. I spoke w/ my TA and she confirmed through Apple Vacations that there will be no motorized sports from April 5-8 (she confirmed via email & phone message[which I saved as proof] and I have the Apple vacation book) I would want to be compensated somehow if what is supposed to be included in our vacation isn't. We arrive on the March 29th so I am hoping we can get some excursions in before Wednesday. The Dominicans may have their own schedule. All the restaruants at the Riu Macao will be open, as far as shops I'm not sure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: holy week

Hi

This may help you a little better: from a Canadian tour operator.

Easter week falls between April 4-8, 2007. During this time no water sports or tours will be available. All discos will be closed Thursday April 5 and Friday April 6. There will also be limited housekeeping, and fewer restaurants will be open to guests.

You may not experience all these happenings but just be prepared. This is a very important holiday for Dominicans when business and shops close. You will notice the resorts and beaches are full during Easter weekend with local families enjoying their mini holiday.

babye

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
170 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: holy week

We stayed at the Ocean Blue last year during Holy Week.They didnt have banana boating,parasailing or seadoos.We were told that the hosiptals and such are half staff and they didnt have the use care if there was an accident....that what they said.They also have the highest amount of car accidents during this time.All in all it was a good time and the locals were very interesting to get to know.Easter Monday everything went back to normal.Some tours still operate.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: holy week

kitten50, what about the restaurants. we will be there march 31-april 7. wondering what to expect.

thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
756 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: holy week

When I was booking our vacation for 5/23-5/30, I also got a bulletin about holy week on all my searches, so I thought it occurred then. Was that just a generalized bulletin, or is there another "holy" observance in May (I was assuming it had something to do with Assumption--I think that's the right term--which would happen 40 days after Easter. . . . .). . . ..