We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medications

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
80 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
medications

There has been a lot of buzz about traveling to other countries with prescription. For most part I have heard to keep your medication in their original bottles. However, I have not heard anything about what you need to travel with a prescription controlled substance. Does anyone have any information about what the DR requires?

6 replies to this topic
Rayleigh Essex UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medications

Hi 1teacher.

Going to any other country its advisable to get a signed letter from your doctor listing all your prescribed drugs and keep it on your person, also if you can keep in original bottles and packets that have your name on them, also take in hand luggage any medicines you will need for any flights that you take, its no good needing something that is in the hold luggage.

Hope this helps.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medications

On the White Customs form which has to be filled in one per party it states :-

Articles that are considered part of the personal baggage of passengers residing on this country and arriving from a different country.

7.Medicines for personal use, in an amount which justifies their exclusive use by the passenger. In case of medicines containing psychotropic substances a medical prescription should also be presented.

Angie.

Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medications

Never had a problem.

Edited: 20 August 2017, 14:33
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medications

I wouldn't worry at all about the Dominican customs! It's returning to the states that could be the problem! We keep any script in the original bottles, because legally - - it's a felony to be caught any other way! We've never been searched returning from the DR, but who wants to take any chances with a drug felony.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,355 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medications

I take a medical profile of all my medications.

Never had a problem packing them in my pill boxes and I take a lot of meds due to a pre-existing condition.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medications

I don't know about Connecticut, but there's been a real pill problem in Florida. I've heard horror stories of people on vacation who put all their Meds in one bottle for convenience. Even though they had prescriptions, they were charged.

From a legal website:

"If you carry prescription medications in a bottle that they do not belong in, then the officer may have little choice but to arrest you for carrying prescription medications. It is illegal to hold prescription medication without a prescription, and lacking the bottle you have no proof that they are yours."

US laws can be brutal.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Reply to: medications
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted