We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Maria

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Maria

So "Potential Tropical Storm 15" is expected to be named Maria and be a hurricane in the next 24hrs. It is currently listed on NHC website as "Potential Tropical Cyclone 15". Current models (all are pretty much in agreement on strengthening and track) are showing it hitting Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic mid week around the 20th. My question is, what is the typical SOP for the hotels. Will they give you option to leave or is it a forced evacuation and they refuse to let you stay? If I wanted to ride it out, will they let you?

I am scheduled to arrive tomorrow, Sunday and as of right now it is not named, no watches, no warnings so canceling the trip and taking advantage of the insurance is not doable.

Here's to hoping Jose` slows down, and pulls Maria north...

Edited: 16 September 2017, 18:45
Mentioned in this post
2,107 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,155 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Maria

Hi

Personally I think it is a BIG leap to turn what is listed as a Tropical Depression into a Hurricane and from what I have read NHC makes no mention of it

Edited: 16 September 2017, 19:06
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Maria

…noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT15/AL152017_5day_…

Not only do they mention it, they have been running models on it.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 19:17
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Maria

I will be going to Punta Cana on the 28th, also worried about what can become Maria

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Maria

Not sure on your insurance, but ours let us cancel this morning without penalty. We booked through Expedia. It was a bummer decision for us.

Praying for all the best!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,155 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Maria

Not being unkind but why book a holiday in the hurricane season as there is always a chance of such weather fronts being around

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Maria

We going on the 23rd and looking forward to it , counting the days . We always go in Sept/oct

7. Re: Hurricane Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2017, 13:05

8. Re: Hurricane Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2017, 13:05

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,870 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Maria

Being that hurricane season encompasses every day in summer, I'm not sure that matters too much.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Maria

Regarding "forced evacuation" I know a handful of resorts evacuated guests to other resorts. Most if not all resorts have hurricane plans in place. The resort I am familiar with allowed guests to stay, some were moved to safer rooms. The beach was closed and off limits. During the height of the potential threat guests were required to stay in their rooms where food and beverages were delivered by staff.

Reply to: Hurricane Maria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted