We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best way to bring home paintings on the plane with as little damage done to them as possible? I'll be flying from PC to Detroit driving to Windsor On. flying from Windsor to Toronto and then home to Vancouver. I'm concerned that with all the different flight connections that the paintings will get damaged. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

I have brought home numerous paintings from the Dominican. The ones I have bought are on canvas, so they just take the paintings of their frame and roll them up. When you get home you put them on your own frame.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

Bob,

Once they are taken off of their frame are they then rolled onto a cardboard tube or something like that? What prevents the paint from cracking and do you bring them home in a suitcase or possibly as carryon? Thanks so much for your help, as you can tell I'm new at this.

East Coast, Canada
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

5054, don't make the same mistake I made a couple of years ago. I put the rolled up painting in my suitcase thinking it would be fine but, of course, it got flattened and my beautiful painting was ruined, the paint all cracked. That trip, I noticed others bringing their rolled up paintings on board with them and I wished I had done that.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

They just usually roll them up and put an elastic around the painting. I usually then put it in my carryon or suitcase.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

You can buy a cylandrical tube at the US Post Office to take with you. That may help with the cracking and keep it safer in your carry-on. On the way down, the empty tube should be fine in your checked luggage.

Hope this helps,

PRIZE

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Prize just think of all the stuff I can then stuff into the cylinder for on the way down!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

5054, LOLOL Yes, you are correct, that opens an entire new place for tucking away the needed things. LOLOL Honestly, I think I have stuff crammed into so many diff things, when we get there on Friday, I will not be able to find anything. LOLOL GOod luck with the paintings.

PRIZE

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

Prize

Easy enought just make another list, this list can list all the stuff that you are bringing down and where you have stashed it.LOLOL, just don't loose the list. Have a great trip!!!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

hi there. i brought a painting home 2 weeks ago and they just removed it from the frame and rolled it a few times in thick paper and taped it well and i carried it on and it made the trip no problem.

enjoy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to bring home paintings on the plane?

5054, If I start indexing my packing, the hubbie will have me institutionalized. LOLOLOL Good luck with the painting transportation.

PRIZE