We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy in May??

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Rainy in May??

Hello -

Going to Ocean Blue next week for a week. Just checked out the forecast on Weather.com, ITS FORECASTING RAIN ALL WEEK !!!!

Anyone just came back, can you tell me if it rain a lot during the day, or just occation pop up shower?? I went to the Bahamas last year in may, and it was mostly pop up showers, so It didn't effect my vacation. Hoping the same case in here.

thanks

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy in May??

We just came back from Sunscape The Beach on Friday evening. We had rain 1 full day, 1 half-day, and a 2-hour shower another day. The weather in April is usually not this rainy during the day. It did not ruin our vacation.

I am going back to STB on May 19th for a two-week stay. I hope the showers stay away, but we will make the best of it.

Brenda :~)

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy in May??

From what I have read it seems like it is just the occasional shower. I am going 05/19 so I am hoping that is the case.

Vancity
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy in May??

I'm going on the 26th of this month, last year I was in Jamaica around the same time & it rained almost everyday several hours a day. I don't mind the odd shower... I hopefully will have better luck this time. fingers crossed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy in May??

Sorry to say this but May - November is considered the rainy season in the D.R's south coast. This does not mean that as of May 1st it rains all of the time, and the bulk of the rain is more towards mid - end of May and throught the summer months. However, we must remind ourselves why the island is so lush, not because it is dry, or it would be one very large Aruba.

Just go and enjoy yourself regardless. Beaches are great, people are nice, and besides you've earned it. Rather be there than at home when it rains.

Boston
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy in May??

BradH - it's going to be hard to enjoy the beach if it's raining all week...

I leave next Friday, and sure enough, 60% chance of rain the first few days. I'm getting bummed out. All I want to do is lay in the sun and have a good time, not sit in my hotel room. Good thing I bought trip insurance... i'm getting to the point where I'm thinking it might not be worth it to even go if it's going to be crappy most of the time.

I'd rather be home and save money than somewhere where my vacation is rained out, you know?

Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy in May??

From what I understand in reading many posts on the rain it happens in bursts normally. I've been in the Bahamas and Jamaica and what usually happens are quick morning and/or afternoon rain (showers or otherwise). I leave for the Paradisus Punta Cana on Wednesday and I'm going to enjoy it no matter what - it is vacation after all!

Boston
Level Contributor
598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy in May??

I understand that it's "vacation" but my whole point of going here was to enjoy the beach, pool, outdoors, etc. If I wanted to sit in a room for a week I could save money and stay home.

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy in May??

I guess it depends on if you are glass half full or half empty ppl.

I am going with the glass half full attitude on Monday.

I've been checking the weather daily past couple of days, it was always forcasting rain at night or early in the morning (pop showers, not steady rain). When I checked the weather during the day for the live weather , it was always hot and some clounds (in the high 80s), so it means it doesn't rain that much during the day, otherwise it would be cooler. I will enjoy it no matter what

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy in May??

We read the same weather forecast of 60% rain and were very worried. However, everytime we look at the current weather, even if rain is forecasted the current weather is always clear and sunny. I plan to have an amazing trip regardless and I'm sure if you decide to go you will too!

10. Re: Rainy in May??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 21:19