We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria meds--do most people take them?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria meds--do most people take them?

Was reading on the CDC website that travelers to Punta Cana are advised to take anti-malaria meds. I don't mind doing this, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced side effects that might affect our vacation (I know, everyone tolerates meds differently). We have previously vacationed in Playa in Mexico, but we are anxious to try Punta Cana, but if the medication is unpleasant, we might stick to Mexico. Thanks.

ottawa, ont.
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

I would speak to your Doctor, some say yes some say no...We returned last night didnt see a single mosquito...took bug spray never used it...not a single bit on my family of four...We choose not to take the meds...We have been to Mexico four times and loved it, this was our first time in Punta Cana and we loved it...the most beautiful beaches and ocean I've ever seen

South Shields...
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

We're travelling in 3 weeks to Punta Cana and our Doctors say it is essential to take anti-malaria medication.

I don't do well with medicine so I have opted to pay a little extra for some better quality drugs. You can take them weekly for two weeks before you go or you can take them daily. Personally, the weekly ones are better.

I wouldn't let taking a few tablets put you off what will be a fabulous vacation.

Take plenty of insect repelant too!

Shell x

Pennsylvania
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

I was there in May and opted not to take the malaria meds. I had read the CDC website, and just chose not to take them. While we were there, I asked one of the tour guides and he said that they have not had problems for a few years with malaria cases. The resorts to spray for control of mosquitoes, but be cautious, and take bug spray with a higher concentration of DEET. Look for this in a store like Gander Mountain, and don't forget to use it while you are there!!! WE did the outback safari trip and went off the resort, so you never know when you will need it! It is very expensive there, so take it from home!!!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

I believe that they had most of their problems after hurricanes hit the area and there was a lot of standing water on the Island. It is just a personal decision. I took the medicine one time and it was after a hurricane and there was a pretty strong warning. That was my only time. The mosquitoes will come out and be pesky under the right weather conditions. If there is no breeze and it gets very humid you will notice them. Take at least 30% Deet spray just in case. 15 trips and only had a few nights when they bothered us.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

I'll be going back for my 4th trip and I never took it.. never recall being bothered by bugs either.

6. Re: Malaria meds--do most people take them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:20