We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug Spray

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Bug Spray

Hi-This might seem like a silly question but I'll ask anyway. I have read that the mosquitos can be pretty vicious in PC !! Unfortunately mosquitos seem to love me!! Can someone else who has this problem recommend a good bug spray. I know some of the ones that I have tried here don't seem to do anything to those Jersey mosquitos!! So if someone can let me know of a brand that really worked for them I would really appreciate it. Twenty-seven more days and Excellence here we come!! (shhhh please don't tell those mosquitos I'm comming!!) Not until I buy my bug spray!!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug Spray

I have never had a problem with mossies in Punta Cana, possibly there are more near Excellence. Try some deep Woods OFF or COMBAT,

DEET is the key ingredient, the higher the concentration the better it works

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug Spray

You can buy various makes of repellant with up to 50% deet. These seem pretty sucessful.

One tip I use is that I always take a room spray too. I think you can get bitten more while you sleep than at any other time. I give the room a good blast before we go out for the evening, there is usually evidence of dead mossies around when we get back.

They hide in the soft furnishings, curtains and towels etc. so pay attention to those areas of the room.

Lorraine

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug Spray

So far 3 trips to PC and not a bug bite ever.. I haven't even seen any bugs..

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bug Spray

I agree with the above poster, never any problems for me with mosquitos (lucky I guess). Living in a state where blackflies and mosquitos should be the state bird, I use "Buzz off" and find that it works very well. Not sure if you can get it in Jersey but you can find it in Walmart etc. up here, so it's worth a look. BTW....bug spray can be hazardous to your health (bumblebee)...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bug Spray

Thanks for your replies. I will definately look for one with the heavy duty deet. Oneofthree--you made me laugh--Thank you!!! That was just too funny!!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bug Spray

I was advised to take vitamin B complex before i go and during my time there. I used a lotion called Mosquit-x which you can buy on the web which i put on before i went to bed. I used to spray the room including the bed covers before i went to sleep and also had a plug in device next to the bed. I have suffered really bad in the past in Mexico and Punta Cana with bites but this year i didn't get any after doing all this. Hope this helps

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bug Spray

I got really badly bitten on my trip to Cabarete in May so I'm taking the vit b complex this time also.............but the tablets do smell and taste awful, if they are in your bloodstream it's no wonder the mozzies dont bite you, lol

sam

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bug Spray

Also if your from the uk, I take the Boots own jungle formula spray and lotion from boots, the silver can, and Avon skin-so-soft stuff .......I'm going armed and dangerous this time..........let them try and bite me.

sam

9. Re: Bug Spray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 15:18