We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lobster at secrets.......

boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
lobster at secrets.......

I keep reading about lobster @ secrets being delicious, but being from New England I am curious as to what kind of lobster they have. Is it a lobster tail? Is it fresh water lobster? Is it like a Maine Lobster?

1 other question. Is the chateaubriand a dinner for two?

What about the mexican restaurant? Is it any good? fresh Salsa?

Anyone ever had bad fish down there?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lobster at secrets.......

The Mexican restaurant was REALLY quite good. The lobster was so so. I wasn't impressed!! It is grilled, small lobster tail. Being from Maine, you won't be impressed either but all the other food was WONDERFUL!! Even the Chinese food was excellent. Now how do you get good Chinese food in DR? LOL

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lobster at secrets.......

Agree with sunrlb...I wasn't that impressed with the lobster we had with our Romantic Dinner. It was more of a "filet of lobster tail" as it was just a hunk of lobster meat covered with a spicy coconut sauce (which I liked). I had heard that lobster tails were served at other restaurants, or that you could even ask for them if they weren't per se on the menu, but we never bothered doing this as there was so much else to choose from. It wasn't Maine lobster - most likely Caribbean spiny lobster. I again agree with sunrlb that the Asian restaurant was pretty good.

The chateaubriand in the gourmet restaurant is a per-person order. Several slices of tenderloin cooked to order with bernaise sauce on the side. Excellent.

The Mexican restaurant had pretty good salsa (more like freshly made pico de gallo than a tomato-based type like in a jar) and guacamole. Food was OK. I actually preferred the "super tacos" they made around noon on the beach or the beach bar patio - these were more like beef fahitas and were tasty...flour tortillas, a HUGE vat of beef, peppers & onions, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. and a cold Presidente at the end of the line. Nice.

All the fish I tasted was very good. Try the grilled grouper in the seafood restaurant with a glass (or three or four) of Sauvignon Blanc during an 1.5 hour a la carte lunch. I want to go back.

State College
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: lobster at secrets.......

We just came back from Secrets on 5/28, it was our honeymoon. I'm not a big lobster fan to be honest, my brother used to dive in the Bahamas and bring them back live and I just never really cared for them, even that fresh.

However, at the Seafood and Tex Mex resturants we found you can get what they call a miniature lobster. It really wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

I must admit, we were at Sunscape The Beach for a week before we switched to Secrets, the food at Secrets was much better. If you like steak, go to the Tex Mex. Maybe it was because we'd been there for a week already and were craving food from home, but we loved it at the Tex Mex restuarant.

The grouper is excellent as well, at both resorts.

Enjoy your visit.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lobster at secrets.......

Is there any Japanese food at the Asian restaurant at Secrets? Do they have sushi and sashimi? Do they have only grilled Japanese dishes or do they have traditional choices? We prefer Japanese food over Chinese because the sauces aren't as thick and except for tempura it is not as fattening.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
193 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lobster at secrets.......

bemar - the Asian restaurant had a wide variety of Asian dishes, including Chinese, Japanese and Thai. I actually had a Thai dish, and we all (there were 4 of us that night) had some very good Ahi tuna sushi - fresh, deep red and quite tasty. They have the dinner menus for all the restaurants on display at the buffet breakfast and lunch restaurant on a little table near the entrance. You can check out each one to help make your decision on which to try that evening. It's a nice convenience.