We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Currency

Massachusetts
9 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana Currency

What is the currency in Punta Cana ? I just realized, of course it is not american currency :0

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Hi

See link below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147293-c80055/Punta-…

Current rate is around 33 pesso to $1

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Hi there...the local currency is the Dominican Peso, currently worth around 33 peso to one American dollar.

American dollars are also excepted.

Cheers from the beach

PuntaCana Mike

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Currency

It's true, you can bring your american money if you like. If you buy any tours on Visa, they will charge them in Pesos and not give you the best exchange rate, but not bad.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Both the Canadian and US dollar are currently at 1=34 Dominican Republic Pesos. If you want to get really picky, the Canadian dollar is slightly ahead of the US dollar.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Currency

stingray64:

While the Canadian and US dollar are almost at par there is a significant difference in the DR around 5 peso's less per $ Canadian, world rates are not followed there

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Currency

So Hlywud, do you suggest taking Dominican Pesos, American $ or Canadian $? Thanks for the advice. I'm Canadian the same as you and was wondering whether it is better to change the Canadian $ to US $ or Dominican pesos, it sounds like our old Loonie doesn't go as far as the other 2 currencies.

Lin5054

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Thx Hlywud. I thought that would be the case. We are planning to buy USD here and bring that with us. Do the resorts have currency exchanges, or where is the best place to exchange to DR pesos. I like to use local currency when we are off of the resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Currency

stingray64:

Why would you change your Canadian dollars to US dollars and then into DR money? You pay twice the fee, do you not?

Am I missing something?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Here is what I find works just fine.

Bring Canadian money and change it into pesos at the resort to purchase any items you may be buying from the shops or the local vendors - We never purchase product in US dollars as a result of the hit you take on the exchage. Services are paid in US dollars such as excursions etc..

We tip in US dollars - seems to mean a lot more to the staff.

If I need more pesos, change it at the resort - buy more with your CDN dollars - the exchange there is less than 34 pesos - I believe the bank paid us 30 pesos to the CDN dollar (this was the Bank on site at the Bahia Principe) - a few cents on exchanging $200 - $300 Canadian is less than what most of us spend on coffeee back home in a day.

This seems to work for us ~

John

Brooklin

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Currency

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We are lucky enough to not pay fees to change our Cdn$ to US$. But, will probably bring a bit of both.