We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Chicago
7 posts
Save Topic
Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Hi, I am planning to possibly travel to punta cana in Feb. My spouse has sleep apnea and needs a cpap machine requiring electricity. Does anyone know if he will have a problem using this there? I read all the advise on bringing an extension cord but I thought they were on a different voltage or something than the U.S. The machine requires a 3 prong grounded outlet.

Tillsonburg, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Hello Hoping4Sun

According to caribbeantravelmag.com/…

The electricity is 110 the same as Canada or the US.

Of course if you want to be safe they do have currency converters out there. I got mine at Wal-Mart, but be sure to get the converter and not just the two prong plug. The one I got will work in just about every country as it pusses out the appropriate plugs for whatever country you are in and converts it from 220 to 110.

However I have been to the Dominican Republic four time and never needed a converter before.

And it should know I also use a cpap machine.

Cheers

Acapulco Fred

Chicago
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Thanks much Fred!

Tillsonburg, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

No problem... glad to help...

Acapulco Fred

Ottawa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Gentlemen,

Don't forget your CPAP also has a built-in converter device that enables it to work in many different countries. Depending on the age of your model, have a look at the label in the back. It gives you all the acceptable levels of electricity your machine can handle. (usually from 90 to 220) I've been to many different countries and never had any problems. Have a great trip!!!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

My husband is a new user of the CPAP machine and doesn't want to bring it on vacation. Is there a big deal not using it for the two weeks that we'll be in Punta Cana?

Milton, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Debinatore, it seems that is a question far better asked of and answered by your husbands physician.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Remember that you can take your CPAP as carry-on luggage and yet it doesn't count as one of your pieces of carry-on luggage because it is a medical device similar to crutches or walkers.

Lin5054

Tillsonburg, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
551 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

Thanks Hefty Smurf

I have never turned my cpap machine over to check that… I did for all my camera and battery chargers, so when I went to Scotland and Belgium this past fall I got a converter from 220 to 110… but you are right the cpap machine has its own converter build in from 100-220.

And Debinatore I agree with jeepndd that it is a question better answered by you physician. It will depend on how dependant he is on his cpap. A friend of mine went for his sleep test and about half way during the night they woke him up and set him up with a cpap machine that very night as he stopped breathing so long that they were worried he might have a heart attack…

Me on the other hand… I have been using the cpap for about 4 years now and if I don’t have it for a night nothing happens other than I keep waking up every few minutes as I snore so heavy… and of course I am tired out the next day… so if your husband snores real heavy without the cpap and you want to get some rest… better bring it…

And what Lin5054 says is correct… I always carry it as an extra carry-on luggage and no problem…

And to all a good night…

Acapulco Fred

9. Re: Electricity in Punta Cana-need to be able to use a cpap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 10:20