We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Topic
Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

What is the most practical way to deal with the mosquito problem? We are taking deet spray but do we need to take coils or citronella candles - do you think?? Fly swatter?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,888 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

We only ever use repellent. We have often taken citronella candles and never used them.

I think the main thing is to think about where you are sitting, walking, etc. If you are going to go walking on the beach at night make sure you are well sprayed. Try and stay away from bushes and trees as mosquitoes tend to hang around these. Sleep with the patio/balcony door closed or open if you want as long as it has a screen

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

I can't remember ever being bothered by mosquitos.. been there April and December and really never had a problem.. brought insect repellant and never used it..yet.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,888 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

I must add that we also have never had a problem in DR either.

I think the mosquitoes just like some people and what ever you do if you are their type you will get bitten anyway

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
429 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

I am one of those folks that mosquitos love. I will be taking a spray to try to repel and also hydrocortisone cream to relieve itch if and when bitten. I am also taking baby oil to try to help repel sand fleas. (I heard that might help... and since mosquitos love me I anticipate sand fleas will too!)

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

We didn't encounter a single mosquito at our resort, for the entire week. I came prepared with mosquito coils and bug dope, but only used the bug dope before heading out for the zip line tour (did see one or two skeeters up in the mountains).

I was kind of surprised that the skeeters were nonexistent at IB Dominicana, considering how much still water there is, throughout the resort. There are several rather murky looking fish/flamingo/flora ponds, but I saw no sign of the buggers.

Which leads me to believe that the resorts are very heavily sprayed and otherwise chemically treated to keep the bug population in check. Nothing like guests being eaten alive by insects to drive away business.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
688 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

I am here now. Staying at Sunscape Punta Cana. WE ahve seen mosquitoes on our balcony in the morning, but they don't bite in the morning. We are careful to close our sliding door before sundown, but I'm not sure that's necessary. The most mosquitoes we have seen, we attacted ourselves, because we decided to let our wet toweles dry ovenight on the balcony. If you are having trouble reading my typing - did I mention that I am here now??!! My proofreading clearly isn't keeping up with with my typing no matter how hard I try!!! We encountered other guests whom were afraid to venture out of the resort because they couldn't imagine having one of their offspring getting a mosquisto bite. While we rejoined them every day in the evening to comapre notes, we explored Higuey, went on the Saona Island Tour, and took an Outback Safari - they stayed at the pool and one son got sick - who knows why - we have nary a mosquito bite a we did not take malaria meds. Be healthy - we have bad mosquitoes (and ticks) in the US (think west nile and lime disease) and we don't stop living - don't worry, man. Nothing really different here, except that we know how to treat malaria, and west nile and lime disease we are still struggling to diagnose.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

Take a fly swatter for sure. It is hard to get the ones that hang out on the ceiling in your room. Spray your curtains on the sliding door and at the bottom of your hallway door. I had to spray myself with deet before I went to bed one night. I did not get any bites on my trip.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

Just talk to them ...

Now, everybody is smiling ! HA ha haaaa

But NO, I´m serious, that´s my tip (living 13 years with them)

Steve... enjoy...

9. Re: Best Way to Handle the Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:21