We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who Knows??

alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Who Knows??

Does anyone know what I do with those roots that I brought back in the bottle (mamajuana)....just want something simple....don't want to start up a stil....

I love the root juice (yee-haa) from Jamaica....and guess the Dominican comes in second...

Does anyone know what Mexico has???

Bring me on your witches brews!

I am ready to wear the old boy out!!!!!

Elmhurst, NY!
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who Knows??

mamajuana is the best in the world!!!!

did it come filled or you just bought they dry bottle

alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who Knows??

Well Mayelin....Let me tell ya....I bought both....I have polished off the rootless bottles....I am now down to the Roots and twigs and branches!

So I am at a loss as to what to do with them....besides build a dam!

So thought I could get some help from mamajuana experts.....

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who Knows??

Just going by memory here ,but as my fav. bartender told me..,"This much red wine..,this much rum..,and this much honey"..,(in finger measurements on the bottle)meaning a,little over half wine.,5/8?..,then a little over half what is left rum..,then honey.It's close,but I will leave that to the experts,half smashed here..,spring traning for the DR,3 more sleeps !

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who Knows??

Mamajuana Recipe

Start by soaking the roots and twigs for 3 days to 2 weeks in rum or red wine or a combination of both. At the end of that period, throw out the liquid. Then refill with equal amounts of rum and red wine and honey. You may choose to leave out the red wine (though I prefer it with), but then it makes it a really strong drink if the only liquid is straight rum. The lower alcohol content wine lends flavour while watering it down a bit. Top it up with the same ingredients in the same general proportions.

from Secretsbride

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
764 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who Knows??

www.outbacksafari.com has a recipe for mamajuana. I was under the impression that ou could not bring the dry stuff back, - you could only bring it if it was submerged in alcohol.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who Knows??

Hi there,

I make it with my friends in the DR and we soak the dry with rum for at least one month to get the bitters out. From there you dump it out, rinse it with water and then we fill it with 1/3 honey and 2/3 rum but it is a personal taste thing and some will need to use more honey to take the kick off the rum. After this you can directly add you rum and honey and drink it right away. It gets better everytime you reuse it and it can be used for up to 5 years.

Enjoy - I know Ido!

TC

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who Knows??

Those flying to Canada can take the dry product home, but due to US rules, those of you to the south have to take the prepared bottles.

MJ will taste different ...so it seems, with every bottle you try. As recommended earilier, it is best to rehydrate the wood using rum or wine...I prefer rum.

You can get approximately 10 cycles out of one bottle, until the flavours of the ingredients are totally leached out.

I try to cycle two bottles, as good Mama takes about 10 days in a sunny window to bring out the best flavours. At any one time I have a prepared bottle and one going thru the aging process.

It is a great drink to start your day!!!

Cheers from the beach

PCMike

alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who Knows??

So why do you have to throw the first batch out???? can't you drink it....or is it yucky?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who Knows??

You throw out the first one because it is so bitter from the roots. I tried it once to see and I spit it out very quickly.

TC

Elmhurst, NY!
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who Knows??

the longer you let the first batch simmer' the better my dad also puts it in a dark place he says its better... and cure it with 3 parts wine 2 parts cheap rum and 1/2 part of honey ... leave it in for a month it will be bitter as hell .... throw it out ...them put red wine and raisins to give it a smooth taste but don't put too much wine kinda reverse it with the rum but this time put good dark rum and make sure you put the raisins in it ....or cinnamon makes it potent if you know what i mean ....and i have made it with maple syrup and its good also ....now after you do the refilling leave it for 2 weeks then its ready to drink forever and you can remake it for years! you just have to keep it hydrated and if you want to take out some of the stuff you can put your own twigs and cinnamon stick ... you can put tea leaves ...anything you wannt. thats y they all taste different because they all have different ingredients and they put different types of rum and wine ....

good luck and cheers mate!