We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

My wife and I are trying to decide between Gran Bahia Principe Ambar or RIU Palace Macao (possibly RIU Palace Punta Cana.

Does anyone have experience with these two chains? I've been to several RIU's in the past but never a Palace.

I have however been reading reviews on the Amber and it looks pretty impressive as well.

Opinions?

I'm most interested in beach, accomodations and food. Especially the food.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

I have never stayed at the Riu hotels (so I can't answer the acconodations and food part of your question) but since the GBP and Riu are right next door to each other the beach is the same.

murillo
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

We stayed at Bahia for two weeks in Feb &march.The beaches are right next to each other but the Rio beach has about a thousand less people.Food at Bahia was O/K.Bahia holds 4000 people and 1000 workers when full and is long and narrow where the Riu is the opposite, more beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

I have to admit Gran Bahia Principe Ambar looks really nice, but I have experience with the RIU's and have a good idea what to expect.

Both are about the same cost so it's just a matter of which is better.

murillo
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

Although the Bahia is only 3 years old( Amber newer )and Riu is older too bad you couldn't stay one week at each.I've stayed at the Riu in the Mayan in Mexico and like the hotel chain.Right now they are building a new place right behind the Amber, lots of noise and stiring up bugs.The Bahia is one of the cleanest hotels I've seen especially for the amount of people there.If I went again I'd stay at the Riu.I have stayed at the Grand Palladium, and the Barcello twice.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

Bamelin,

If I were you, I would take a good look at the reviews on the 2 resorts as shown here in Trip Advisor - there sure is a noticeable difference in the ratings between the 2. The photo's of each should help as well.

I have only stayed at the one resort and that is the Bahia - have walked through the Riu's including the Palace, which is exceptionally impressive.

The Ambar is certainly very new and also impressive - keep in mind it also is an "Adults only" resort and the beach in front of the Ambar is nice and quiet as well. When you want more action, you have accessability to all that the BP Bavaro & Punta Cana resorts have to offer - a nice feature.

John

Brooklin

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

I've looked through the reviews and the biggest differences I see is that Gran Bahia Principe Ambar seems more quiet/smaller than RIU Palace Macao, however I get the sense that maybe Ambar is more intimate/upscale partly due to being adult only?

The Palace certainly looks to be fairly upscale as well, but in a more mass market kind of way.

Both resorts appear to have the same benefits of having access to their sister resorts close by.

I guess the big issue for me is food. I've been at RIU ClubHotel's in the past, and the buffet's were fantastic. I did however find that RIU's weren't that big on the seafood selection, something my wife and I love. Not sure how a Palace class RIU will compare to Clubhotel class RIU though.

Looking through the reviews it does seem like Ambar has a better buffet spread than the other Gran Bahia's, the big question is how it will stack up against RIU Palace Macao's food selections.

Beach wise I'm not too worried, both RIU Macao and Gran Bahia Ambar are located close by, I'm sure the beaches will be comparable.

7. Re: Gran Bahia Versus RIU -- Which to Choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 22:17