We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

I'm curious. There are a number of "chain" hotels out there.

Personally I have gone to alot of RIU's and continued going because of the percieved quality. I always know when I go to a RIU the type of vacation I'm going to have.

I am though curious about other chains like Iberostar, Gran Bahia Principe, Princess, Melia, Occidental and others.

Which is your favorite "Brand" of chain hotels. What makes that brand your favorite?

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

I should probaly also mention, I'm asking this question partly because I'm considering trying out Gran Bahia Principe instead of my beloved RIU, this time around.

I'm abit nervous though as to what to expect, thus this forum topic.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Hi there Bamelin,

My two favorites are SUNscape and Dreams they are both part of the AMResorts branding

www.amresorts.com

I have been to all of the SUNscapes both in the Dominican Republic and Mexico

And 3 of Dreams, Punta Cana, Tulum and Cancun.

I have had a great time at each of them, I enjoy the all inclusive aspect along with the no wristband and no reservation policy.

You can see my albums for each of my visits here:

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=All&srchtree=1&Ntt=Zyrtec+&Go.x=18&Go.y=12

I enjoy the locations of each of them and the choices that they offer.

Happy Choosing

and

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

My wife and I stayed at the RIU's Punta Cana before. We also stayed at the Palladium resorts in the Mayan and Punta Cana. We are mid 40's and find the Palladium resorts more consistent, better food and room quality.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Thanks for the advice!

Interesting about Dreams and Sunscape ... I didn't realize they belonged to the same brand.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Hi Bamelin,

Dreams and SUNscape are not the same brand...they are 2 brands that are marketed by AMResorts...

SUNscape is the entry level with FUN in their motto

Dreams more luxury...

if you get the chance check out the AMresorts website I listed...its explained better there than I can.

Happy choosing

and

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

We loved the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun, this was our first trip there as we normally seek less-developed areas than the "hotel zone". But the Riu is beautiful, best service and food we've experienced at an AI.

We've been to the Iberostar Tucan twice - it is not as upscale as the Riu Palace and is less expensive but the resort is beautiful. The Rius in Cancun are a hotel experience, while the Iberostar Tucan is a resort. The Tucan grounds are beautiful - it was built in the jungle - many critters and birds, and the beach is beautiful. The beach in front of the Quetzal side was eroded this year but the Tucan side is fine. The Tucan is also a 5 min taxi to Playa Del Carmen for the night life and the Cozumel ferry.

So we will return to the Riu for the wonderful service and food and proximity to Isla Mujeres, and to the Tucan for the magical experience.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Went to the website and Dreams Punta Cana does look nice ... especially the included jacuzzi in the room. At the RIU Palace a jacuzzi suite is way more expensive.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

Bamelin,

you may be interestsed in seeing my pics from New Years at Dreams PC

travel.webshots.com/album/561964961nqMATf

and from July 07 when it was listed ast SUNscape The Beach before its official transition into a Dreams property...

good-times.webshots.com/album/557844418xTGfKn

this one has pics and videos

and lastly the map of the resort and sundial newsletters that you get every night with the next days activities

good-times.webshots.com/album/552285463yoWqoD

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

New York
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

you can look at the chain of Sol melia hotels. there are 3 in punta cana .

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chain Hotels (RIU, Iberostar, etc) Which Do You Prefer? Why

It's definately a tough decision to make. I've always been impressed with the RIU chain, in Playa del Carmen (RIU Tequila/Yucantan/Lupita/Playacar) and Puerto Plata (RIU Bachata/Merengeu/Mambo) they were pretty fantastic.

This is why my wife and I were considering trying out a Palace level RIU to see if it gets even better ...

But price wise some other hotels look like we'll get a better room for what we would pay at RIU Palace Macao.

My shortlist was RIU Palace Macao and Gran Bahia Principe Ambar ... but I'm definately curious about Iberostar, Princess, and a few other chains as well.

I've always picked RIU's in the past mainly because I love how luxurious the lobbies and hotel furnishings are, and the food has always been decent.

This year is my wife and my 5th year anniversary so we really wanted to go to a resort that is abit "above" what we've experienced in the past.

This is why I made this topic ... I'm really curious why folks on this board pick specific hotel chains/brands and what keeps them going back to that chain/brand.