We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

In the past my wife and I have taken 5 - 6 am flights when leaving for vacation. This is great because it gives us an entire afternoon and evening our first day. The bad thing though is that it means we leave at the crack of dawn on go home day.

This year it's totally reverse. We are leaving (toronto) at noon and will arrive in Punta Cana at 4:45 in the afternoon. While we will miss out on a day at the beach, on the last day of the trip our flight out isn't until 6 at night ... which means we'll get to spend most of the day at the resort (I hope!).

Your opinions folks? Which is better. Flying in early but having to leave early, or flying in late but getting to leave late.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

Hi Bamelin,

I'll take it any way I can get it!!!

I have enjoyed the late afternoon flight from BWI to LRM gettting me at CDM in time for the dinner and show! Then next morning waking up in paradise!

Leaving I buy the late check out spend the morning on the beach and afternoon in the spa and when I leave I feel like a princess!

Its all GOOD!

Daytime is nice too...Friday I fly into PUJ and arrive there around noon and will be at CDM around 2 or so...in time for lunch and the pool bar, then dancing the night away at Big SUR and waking up on Saturday which is my Birthday in Paradise...so it's all GOOD!

Or what I like to say is its SUNsational!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

wolfville
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

We like to fly out early,around 6.30 am and leave for home around noon time gets us back to the house by suppertime,I don`t think I could stand to leave later in the day when I know I`am leaving that day it`s hard enough to leave anytime but I prefer to just get up,tuck my bottom lip in,get on the plane and look foward to next year lol.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

This is our first trip to Punta Cana and I think we're pretty lucky flight wise. We're flying out at 6:30 am and when we leave its not untill 11 pm. So we get a whole extra day!

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

I hate to leave mid afternoon and would rather get there early and leave early. If your flight is at say 4:00 pm you have to leave your room at noon and probably get picked up to go to the airport at 12:45 missing the whole day.

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

We have always left at 6:00 a.m to arrive in Punta Cana by 11:00 a.m. coming home we left on the noon flight to Detroit, this year we left Detroit for Punta Cana at 3:25 p.m by the time we arrived at the resort and checked in it was 10:30 their time, coming home our flight left at 9:40 p.m. we had to check out of our room by 1:00, the afternoon was really wasted, we didnt do much, we didn;t get land until after 2:00 a.m. it was 4:00 a.m when we got home, I would much prefer the early flight in and home, but you take what you can get,

Ontario
Level Contributor
339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

The flight times you mention are perfect for us as we have a 3 1/2 drive to Toronto and usually stay at a hotel near airport (w/shuttle) both the night before leaving and one night when we return. I hate to pay the cost of the hotel and be leaving at 3:00 a.m. for the airport. I have tried just staying up all night, and that doesn't work as you arrive totally exhausted, can't get your room and feel lousy the first day. You will have time to locate your room, freshen up, then head out for dinner.

With a 6:00 p.m. return flight they will probably leave the hotel by 3:30 p.m. We spend the morning on the beach, then shower and check out at noon. We have a leisurely lunch in the main buffet, or sit poolside at the outdoor restaurant for lunch, with a lovely breeze coming in.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

Looking at my reservations, it appears that my flight from Toronto is at 12:30 noon with an arrival in Punta Cana at 4:45.

I'm unsure how long it will take to go through customs and take the shuttle to the resort (Gran Bahia Principe Ambar). Hopefully we'll make it in time for dinner.

Our flight home is at 6:05 PM. I wonder what time they will shuttle us to the airport? I'm hoping that we won't leave for the airport until 1 or 2 at least, so I can enjoy breakfast, a morning on the beach and a nice lunch.

In the past we've always taken the red eye 6 am flights when leaving ... while this gets us at the resort in time for lunch and an afternoon at the beach, we generally end up staying at the airport all night and get some fitful sleep on the flight. I'm kinda happy that I won't have to get to the airport at the crack of dawn this time, but I'm sad we'll miss out on an afternoon at the beach our first day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

We travelled last May with similar times - arrival 4:55 p.m. and we arrived in time for dinner. However, we have stayed here 3 times and knew our way around. I presume you are Air Transat and your rooms will be closest to the beach. There is a tram running down the centre of the resort to get you to the buffet. It is very confusing at night and I suggest you look at the Bahai map to get some feel of the resort before you go. We were in Bldg. 20 and the first night we were going to the buffet but I stopped into the BBQ Grill (on the beach) with a $5 bill in hand, and they seated us in the a la carte, without it counting towards the 4 that you are allowed. Our return flight was 6:15 and I believe we left the resort around 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. which is crazy as you have to sit and wait 2 hrs. at the airport, but all tour operators do the same thing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

It is indeed Air Transat. I know that Transat has some kind of special deal set up with Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro and Punta Cana for upgraded rooms ... not sure about the Ambar though ... I think Ambar is supposedly an entire resort of upgraded rooms, facilities and so forth. I may start another topic about this ...

Ontario
Level Contributor
339 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly in Early Leave Early or Fly in Late, Leave Late.

Ambar section is adult only - new in Dec. 2007 and is adjacent to the Bavaro side. If you booked Air Transat Gold Club - you will be close to the beach in the Punta Cana or Bavaro. If you booked Ambar then most of the units are very close to the beach and pool. Not sure if Air Transat has a particular group set aside. We are planning to try the Ambar in May. It only has 10 buildings and has its own buffet and 3 al a carte restaurants.