We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun allergies

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Topic
sun allergies

whats the best remedies?????

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sun allergies

Tinks

What type of allergy are you talking about - prickly heat?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sun allergies

Hi tink, take antihisthamenes and the itching should subside. Also don't use 'waterproof' sun lotion as it stops you from sweating thus causes prickly heat. You are Ok with water resistant lotion. We were told this one time on holiday as one of our sons used to suffer badly.

I also used to get it but not as bad as him. I find if I use a sun bed a few times before I go (only for 3 or 6 mins ) a couple of times a week in the month before we go anywhere hot I am much better.

Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sun allergies

yep prickly heat!!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sun allergies

Use Ombrelle suncscreen by Loreal and you won't break out. My son gets a brutal rash if he doesn't us it and it's the only thing that blocks properly for him. It says it's "photostable" on the bottle, not sure if that is the key.

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sun allergies

thank you

Tinks

x

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sun allergies

Hi,

This happens to me occasionally and I take Benadryl Allergy which is an antihystamine. It's great for hives and itchy skin.

babye

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sun allergies

Tinks

I have had this once when I was in Africa and it drove me mad.

It is a reaction you get when your skin cannot breathe properly and can sometimes be result of the sunscreen you are wearing - waterproof ones and the worst.

In other words you must be able to sweat and if the you cannot the water gets trapped in little blister. Having a sauna before you go on holiday to make sure all your pores are clear and them making sure you wear a good sunscreen that will allow you to sweat will all help.

After that if you are still unlucky try the likes of calamine lotion or cold towels.

Good luck

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sun allergies

I got some this year and lots of it. First time wasn't sure if it had something to do with the lotion I was using .I put on Solarcaine.Never thought of trying allergy med.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sun allergies

Hi

Benadryl was recommended by my dermatologist. It is over the counter medication and works great. May cause a little drowsiness, but clears the problem. It's specifically for itchiness and hives.

babye

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sun allergies

bump