We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Never gave it really much thought always travelled to DR without taking med. Today read in the local paper we have a first case of Malaria.A local guy Boy sure hope he is going to be all right.Might make me reconsider taking med from now on.I know one is nothing but it still can happen. They didn't mention were he had traveled to.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

All this talk of malaria has me concerned. I'm actually rethinking taking a trip to DR. I know mosquito repellent is a must but with the restrictions the airlines have on liquids and such having to be 3oz or under, I wonder if it's possible to even take along enough mosquito repellent along with the other essentials you would need.

USA
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

West Nile and the Bird Flu are going around too..

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

It is not necessary to take a 55 gallon drum of Deep Woods Off!! One can or bottle will do.

90% of tourists don't even use/need it.

You have a greater risk of getting West Nile at home. Not sure about Canada but it is very prevelant on the East Coast of the US.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

I for one will never stop visiting DR nor would I ever cancel if my trip that was already book.Never seen any mosquitos this year I know it can happen anywhere and there is still the west nile and we don't worry about that.I just might rethink about taking the medication that is all.Not even sure what Island he visited anyway.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

I hear ya' Acadientravler. You know what we all say...it's a personal decision and if you would feel more comfortable taking them then check with your Doc and give it a try!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria

Ok, I know that some people, having that concern seems to be ridiculous but some people do have medical conditions that make possible exposure to certain things much more of an issue. I actually haven't booked my trip yet, still considering it.

I was mainly wondering about managing to bring enough repellent for a 5 night trip with the current airline restrictions.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria

The US gov is recommending a Malaria medication be taken even if traveling to the Altagracia Province. My husband and I are going to start taking Chloroquinine next week prior to our leaving for PC. After researching all the meds offered, this seemed to be the one that had the fewest side effects.

Waterville, Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria

Airlines (at least Delta and American) allow you to pack bug spray but you can't carry it on unless its in a 3 oz can or less and you probably won't find that. We carried on the Deep Woods Off wipes with no problem and just packed a small can of Deep Woods Off with 30% Deet but we never needed it. Never saw any bugs at all.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria

orion..I don't think anyone is trying to make light of your concerns. Only that many of us do not take the meds as we feel the risk is minimal. As I said though, it's a personal decision that only your Doctor can advise you on.

As for carrying enough spary for 5 nights, one bottle/can should be more than enough. We camp all summer long and one or two bottles will last me the entire summer!

kitchener
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria

On advisory from Health Canada and my Doc, we decided to take Nova Cholornique(sp) not saying we are going to get Malaria, but as a preventive measure