We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

What's going on?! We read countless rave reviews about GBP Bavaro before we booked less than 2 weeks ago, it had a 4.5 rating which is now down to 4 - the only complaints seemed to be personal pet peeves from those maybe expecting UK/US 5-star standards, and niggly gripes. Now people are completely slating the service, saying food is very limited, hot food served cold, drinks are naff etc.

I have been reading these with a pinch of salt, but so many negative opinions have popped up in the last week I'll be dreading going soon! We are quite laid back and simply want to be fed and watered adequately while we chill out and relax in the sun - we've read up fully on it before booking i.e. we have a general idea of the size, location of pools to buffets, what entertainment is offered etc... are some people's expectations too high, or they just don't research to find the right place for them in the first place, or is there really something to worry about?!

ottawa, ont.
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Im wondering the same? DDF are you going to post a review..she is an expert for Tulum and has stayed at the Bahia there many times..so her take on the Punta Cana Bahia is probably a good one..we stayed there last summer Mrs H and loved it..the one review about entertainment was valid..but my husband and I were happy to sit in the lobby bar and listen to music by that point we were tired and ready for bed...I can say the Kareoke bar was fun never made it to the disco..

Hamilton
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

I think you are correct in viewing many of the negative comments as personal pet peeves. People tend to use the site to vent rather than give constructive information. The Bahia is a fabulous resort. You'll love it! When will you be there?We're going for two weeks, arriving there on may 16th!

CQ

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Yes. Ignore the negative reviews. My wife and I have stayed at several AI's and we were worried that we would be dissapointed as our previous stays at other resorts were wonderful. Suprisingly GBP quickly became our favorite. They have an awesome beach and the food was good. As I'm sure you've read they have a neat town square area to hang out in and the entertainment was pretty much the standard AI entertainment (we thought), we like the standard. We went with my wife's family. 8 of us in all and everyone still talks about what a great time it was a year later. Don't worry about the negative reviews. Seems like every time I've gotten caught up in them I've gone to the AI and thought what the heck were these people talking about? Maybe they are used to staying at a 5 star in Maui I don't know. If you can be content with an all inclusive beach paradise then you'll love it, if you need the clouds of heaven to part to be raptured away into a fantasy magic land of lollipops and cotton candy clouds(what these folks must expect) then maybe not. You'll have a great time. We're headed to a Riu in Puerto Vallarta in a few weeks and we can't help but hope it's as nice as GBP.

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Thanks for your comments - I think you're right in not getting too bogged down in others' personal opinions and peeves and just go with an open mind. After all, we've done our research and know what to expect, and at the end of the day its better than being at home/work!

We intend to make the most of it and think we'll steer clear of the personal remarks and concentrate on the constructive feedback!

ottawa, ont.
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Leeward...you have it right..we have travelled to several resorts and locations and the Bahia punta cana is by far our favorite..going again this July..I stayed at the RIU in peurto Vallarta two years ago..dont think you will enjoy it as much, but we did have a good time there..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

The problem this year for all resorts is it has been extremely busy and the staff at these resorts i.e.

Bahia Principe are working extra long shifts and going many day's with out a day off. They are doing the best they can and if you check other top resorts

you will find they are getting more than there usual bad reviews this year. We went in March and had a great time!

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Will be posting the review very soon. Don't worry about the "gripes", it is a wonderful resort and we found the food to be very good. Although I must say, we didn't get to eat at the PC or Bavaro buffets as we were upgraded to the Ambar (but friends of ours did twice (will read in the review as to why) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the food around the resort, generally, beach bars, etc. was very good. We went to the Le Gourmet and the Grill and it was very good as well. Entertainment, didn't see much of it, but it is the same as any resort, not Las Vegas show stopping, but enjoyable, it was packed to the rafters every night, so it can't be that bad. Some of it was corny, but what can you do, these kids do their best. As for the limited food, we found it in abundance, and the service was good for the most part. Now remember we stayed on the Ambar side as we were upgraded and they are still workng out some kinks as it is relatively new and that's what happens when new places open up, but hey you are in the Caribbean on holiday, sit back and relax. The beach, well I would definitely compare it to Negril and believe me we have travelled alot, it was awesome.

We have been to the Bahia in Mexico many times and love it there and will go back, but I would definitely go back to the Bahia in Punta Cana again. Staff is lovely and the rooms, grounds, etc. were, as usual, the Bahia excellence.

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

Daddy... thanks for the insight, I can well imagine if the resorts are packed to the rafters at times that not everything can be perfect all of the time, and God knos nothing ever is. Am I right in thinking that June is now off peak season, so might be a little quieter or are the resorts full regardless?

DDF... thanks for your comments, sounds like you had a great time, I look forward to reading your review too.

27 days and counting... :)

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

I am leaving May 16th for a week and staying here also. GBP that is.

I used to worry about reading bad posts all the time.

After traveling to well over 10 islands, I stopped because the truth panned out.

I did my research before booking here and its good enough for me.

People, especially US people, and Im from Maryland, b_tch and complain about everything. We are very easy going. Give us food, burgers are fine, a wonderful beach and water a soft bed and Im good, oh anf hot shower water. Other than that, bugs, sounds, birds,walks,shopping, hot ,cold, .....WHO CARES.

your on carib time, live it. If you dont like the slow service. Grab a hot dog on the corner in NYC.

The resort will be fine Mrs H. Trust me on this one. And if your anything like I am, as long as the beer is cold, the sun is hot and I have just a tiny bit of shade and a burger for lunch, then I am "A "OK !!!!!

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad reviews: Gran Bahia Principe

GBP is a great resort. Take the reviews with a grain of salt.