We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

Can anyone that has come back recently tell me if they have had any problems with checking in their luggage - disputes with weight of cases? Or at the final security check - any thefts taking place? I am going Monday and would like to know if this has been happening recently. Thank you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

Some say yes, some say no. Just be prepared and don't let your luggage BE overweight and don't leave money in your carry-on, no worries.

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

Thank you. I don't intend to leave valuables (money/documents) in my big hand luggage that goes through screening, but sometimes they insist that you put your handbag through too. They are pretty ruthless from some of the feedback I have read.

Maryland Line...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

We did not have problems with checking in luggage or theft. I made sure I kept my eye on everything, especially when they weighed our luggage. We didn't bring back much with us so we knew our luggage would probably be a little lighter than when we first came. Just make sure you keep an eye on everything.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

You can take your handbag, just don't leave money in it, always carry your money on your person--in a pocket or personal type travel zipped thingy that you wear on you.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

I never take a purse with me, but I carry my LL Bean backpack and I put my money in a wallet in a zippered part of the backpack so when I put it through the scanner it would take alot of work to get at my wallet!

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

I send my wife through first before I put our carry-ons through. That way she can collect them when they come through and watch the airport personel. Always keep our cash split between us and in our pants pockets. This is our proceedure no matter where we go through security.

Mike

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

beachbaby, all luggage, including handbags, go through the x-ray machine. This happens at ALL airports all over the world.

What we do at Punta Cana, is to put our money in our pockets before we go through security. In the past I have heard about women being targeted in particular. Two officials will look through a bag and then ask you to open something, say your spectacle case. While you are distracted the other person will remove money from your purse.

We have been searched in the past and have been very vigilant. I have been to the Dominican Republic over a dozen times and it has been fine at the airport. Just have your wits about you as you would in any strange situation.

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

Thank you for all your replies and good tips. When we went last year, I didn't have any problems, but since reading all the problems, I just wanted to know of any recent experiences. Im off tomorrow. Bye for now.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

I went last year and didn't have any problems however this year there were 4 of us and they wanted to charge us 5 kilos over however we get 5 kilos hand lugage and one of our group didn't have any so they didn't charge. if they had insisted then we would have taken 5 kilos out and carried it on!

Did have any other problems though.

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems with staff at Punta Cana Airport

With regards to trying to charge for excess weight, does anyone know the Airport Manager's name? It sounds like a Dutch name. Apparently if you ask to speak to him, OR, ask to pay with a credit card, the staff back right off. I read this on another TripAdviser feedback on Punta Cana, but do you think I can find it?