We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marina Del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

"Finally, the trip out of the Dominican Republic is nothing like entering. We had to leave the resort over 5 hours earlier than our flight to make it through extremely long lines for customs, airlines, security and other checks."

new york
Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

5 hours??? i've been to punta cana at least 12-13 times and have always left the hotel 2 hours before the flight.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
436 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

We've been to Punta Cana twice and had to leave the hotel about 3 hours prior to our flight both times...but our resorts were only less than 30 minutes from the airport....where the Excellence is about an hour away...I could see how this might be possible...it wouldn't be much fun, but I can see how it might be necessary....

Hopefully people who have stayed at the Excellence before will be able to respond...

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

Our first year at Excellence it was three hours. Each year since it has been a little more, with last year four hours I believe. It is not what you want to do, but you never know it the hour plus drive could run into some kind of delay. Sometimes the lines at the airport are ridicules and it takes forever. Then again, sometimes not bad at all.

I think it also depends on which travel company is transporting you.

You can always get a taxi, but then you might be taking a chance and miss your flight.

Mike

Marina Del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

Mike; We will take a taxi..why would we possibly miss our flight by taking a taxi?

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

Considering the "normal" arrival time at an airport for international travel is 2 hours prior, the ride from Excellence can be anywhere from 45-60 minutes, and the Dominican road situation being what it is I would not be surprised.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

ls310 - not that taking a taxi will cause you to miss your flight, but just that if you create your own schedule for transfer to the airport, check-in, etc. you may not figure in enough, or as much cushion to allow for unforeseen delays. At least, that's how I read it... I would probably cut it closer, if I took a taxi, thus increasing my chances of not making it in time.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

I've been 23 times and they always pick us up 3 hours before our flight.

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

I been to Excellence twice both times left the resort at 12 noon for our 415 flight. Both times dropped of at the airport around 130 about a total of 15 minutes to check in and clear customs and just sit around in the airport for about 2hrs waiting for our flight. That is in December

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

When we left Dreams on 01/04/08 for our flight home we made it to the airport, checked in, cleared security and got to the gate we had about 30 minutes before we boarded our plane.

I wasn't thrilled at leaving the resort early but I would have been a hell of a lot more pissed if I had missed my flight!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving Excellence to go to airport...Is this usually true?

Holy crap, BobNH, you've been to the DR 23 times?? Do the airport porters and taxi drivers recognize you by now? :) I jest, but I'm jealous. Who do you use for your transporation?

I commonly use taxis for their speedy ability to get me there quickly, unlike a large bumbling tour bus.

-Jen