We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
622 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Incident at Punta Cana Airport

This was out fourth trip to the DR and until now we had no problems at the Punta Cana Airport. I just want to share this experience with everyone so that they may know how to act if faced with a similar situation.

We (eight of us) were going through the metal detector and one of the security guards told me that he wanted to talk to me in five minutes. I thought nothing of it; but he actually hunted me down in the airport and asked to speak with me. He asked me to leave my family and go with him to talk. I did follow him to a point where I noticed that I did not see any security cameras, so I immediately stopped and returned to an area where I saw security cameras. He wanted me to follow him farther and I refused. This area I refer to is on the connection bridge between terminal one and terminal two (air conditioned and non-air-conditioned). There may be security cameras there; but I did not see any.

Anyway, he asked me how much money I had on me. I thought that was weird and threw out a figure. He told me that it was too much money to have and that he will have to investigate. I immediately asked to see his supervisor and said out-loud and he can not have any of my money.

The conversation immediately came to a close and I saw this security guard no more.

I realize that there are a million was to handle this situation; but this is what happened with me.

Once again, this was out fourth trip to the DR and until now we had no problems at the Punta Cana Airport. I just want to share this experience with everyone so that they may know how to act if faced with a similar situation. Hopefully you are not placed into a similar situation.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Wow...strange indeed. I think you handled it pretty well conisdering the situation. Many would have panicked or been intimidated by the "authority" of a security guard.

If you have not reported it I would defintely do so.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

It does beg the question - why did you go with him and put yourself in this situation???

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

CM, You handled the situation very well...

However, I would NEVER go with ANYONE to a secluded place...

Not in Punta Cana, the USA, Canada or ANY country you are from. As I have previously posted, you are NOT required to do ANYTHING you would not normally do in your own home airport....

CM, I'm glad you are safe, smart and well...

Peace

Lea

Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
622 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Before everyone over analyzes this, please read what I posted:

"I realize that there are a million was to handle this situation; but this is what happened with me.

Once again, this was out fourth trip to the DR and until now we had no problems at the Punta Cana Airport. I just want to share this experience with everyone so that they may know how to act if faced with a similar situation. Hopefully you are not placed into a similar situation."

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,801 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Wow, what exactly happened when you said he couldn't have your money? Did he walk away or did you? Was he wearing a name tag?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Good to know for future visits.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

Deb and Lea ...

Don't one of your guys have the contact info for Walter "Z" (I can never remember his last name but I think it starts with a "Z"!)? I would think this is one incident that needs to be reported to the airport authorities.

Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
622 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

deb,

"I immediately asked to see his supervisor and said out-loud and he can not have any of my money.

The conversation immediately came to a close and I saw this security guard no more."

He simply walked away at that point.

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

The more I read about this airport and holiday destination the more I am beginning to think this is one place to steer clear of.CC fraud from some hotels baggage overweight scam and now this time for a rethink methinks.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Incident at Punta Cana Airport

CM, I think you handled it GREAT !!

ANY problems.. ANY time call:

Walter Zemialkowski PUJ GM

1809-707-7210

Peace

Lea