We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el cortecito, worth the trip??

york pa
Level Contributor
615 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
el cortecito, worth the trip??

have been to pc 3 times . I always go to steve's, but have never been to cortecito. I like to experience new bars, ( I am not a night club person)

I just like to stop here and there for a cold beer at bars with no walls. since I have been on about 20 island trips I do not do a lot of excursions any more I just go to hang and relax. so my question is.... Is it worth a trip to cortecito?? names of any bars please????

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

It's the oldest & original piece of Bavaro which existed as a fishing village long before anyone thought to build a hotel there - so for that reason alone it's well worth a visit

Capt. Cooks is bang in the center of Cortesito / Cortecito (Beron / Veron) and even if you don't wish to feast there - they'll always have a cold green one ready for you and you can sit with feet in the sand facing the ocean as the world passes you by.

The supermarket there is good for stocking up on coffee & sprits & tobacco etc and prices are fixed & reasonable.

Don't know the names of any of the many bars there but you're best discovering your own - and it's probably the cheapest place to buy souvenirs too - but still shop around first!

All the best

bb

All the best

bb

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

I go there every trip. Souvenirs I have found a place as miraculous as it sounds, where it is no hassle shopping. Besides the grocery store where you should stop first for coffee, alcohol, sunscreen, etc, we found Los Pinos market same side as the grocery store. You shop, you have a sales person that gives you her card, she takes care of you, the prices are reasonable to start with, no starting at 4 times what an item is worth only to pay too much in the end. They take a bit off at the cash, give you a free gift and you are done. Paintings in particular were a good deal. We crossed the street and found an outdoor terrace for drinks (La Palma or something like that) right on the sand, gorgeous view of the ocean.

Go for a visit. It is not wasted time. Cigar store, money exchange kiosk, pay phone, ATM, hair dresser, pharmacy, grocery store, Captain cook, souvenir shops. If not too far from Cortecito (which incidently is sandwiched between the Palladium complex and club Carabella) you can walk the beach to get there. We walked one way and took a water taxi back - worth it for the experience alone.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

of course go a nd stroll around with a cold one and relax off the resort, El Cortecito is a nice place for that.

don't miss to stop at the bar "Crazy Gator", the one with the white seats and tables out in the sand and with the green "Presidente Umbrellas", always cold beers, say hello to Mike, he's often there( i mean Mike myself, that bar is right in front of my office and sells the coldest ones, lol)

have a blast

Mike

West Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

Try the Flamboyan on the corner for a great caipirinha or, walk down the beach and have a great time at both the Huracan' and the Soles (can also stop at Bambu in between). Both get cranking later in the evening. Start earlier at the Huracan and have a great dinner and drinks and then continue down the beach (both within walking distance) to the Bambu and Soles. I doubt you will be going back to your room early. :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

I have no idea what this place is, but i want to go. Is it far from the resorts or something?

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

Hi - it's the area between the Paradisus Palma Real and the Fiesta hotels (but closer to the Fiesta hotels) - it's a cluster of shops, bars & restaurants with a bazzar flavour to it and buzzing with life most of the time

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

We are going to Ocean Sands in 2 weeks (our first time to DR), is this far from our resort?

Thank you

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

7 minutes by cabby.

walking over the beach it is located right between the Palladium Palace and the Carabela Resort.

happy shopping

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

7 minutes by cabby.

walking over the beach it is located right between the Palladium Palace and the Carabela Resort.

happy shopping

Mike

nyc
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: el cortecito, worth the trip??

i've been to el cortecito it is full of small vendors a decent supermarket and a few resturants with mostly sea food. theres a barber shop, nail saloon, hair braiding , and bars. good for killing 2-3 hours. the bus stops close to the strip.