We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Okay, so I���ve read other posts that the Canadians who got malaria were coincidently those who were adventurous and went on ���jungle��� tours etc but that the resort area seemed pretty safe. But then I hear that itravel2000 might be canceling January PC bookings and sending those people to Mexico or Cuba.

Is the risk really that great or is it all just panic? (not to diminish the seriousness of Malaria because if I go then I���ll be taking anti malaria pills however I���m not adventurous & likely won���t venture away from the resort). Ours is already booked and if we are unable to work something out with our travel agency, I guess we���ll go anyway.

Is anyone else conflicted about whether to continue with their trip?

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

(Not sure what happened to my comas in the first post....)

Okay, so I���ve read other posts that the Canadians who got malaria were coincidently those who were adventurous and went on ���jungle��� tours etc but that the resort area seemed pretty safe. But then I hear that itravel2000 might be canceling January PC bookings and sending those people to Mexico or Cuba.

Is the risk really that great or is it all just panic? (not to diminish the seriousness of Malaria because if I go then I���ll be taking anti malaria pills however I���m not adventurous & likely won���t venture away from the resort). Ours is already booked and if we are unable to work something out with our travel agency, I guess we���ll go anyway.

Is anyone else conflicted about whether to continue with their trip?

Shawinigan, Québec
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

i hope they will let us go because i don't have my passport wich is not necessary for dr so i will take the medication and wait

toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

I'm just as confused as you, I called itravel and the best I could get is that some specific agents are cancelling their trips or switching. Have you been to mexico before? if so than any reccomendations if we do get cancelled.

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

I've personally never been to mexico but I have heard from others how great the mayan rivera area is....friends just got back from secret excellence in mayan rivera and they loved it....however it's a little pricey. Not sure where we'd go either in Mexico really.

toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

did you book with itravel? because i'm having trouble getting a hold of my agent

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

no - i booked via escapes.ca. I sent them an email but no response as of yet.

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Neither the Canadian or US governments has discouraged travel to the DR. Both recommend anti-malarial medication and the use of DEET repellants.

I am booked in February and am still going.

I expect that there will be measures taken including spraying to eradicate the threat. In 2000 there was also a problem in the DR tbat was quickly eliminated. Note that many countries deal with malaria. Take a look at the Canadian governemnt's travel website (Foreign Affairs)web site if you want to see what risks you are assuming in the DR and elsewhere.

In fact, your chance of getting a food or water borne illness is far greater in the DR, Cuba, and Mexico than malaria (.By the way, Mexico is not malaria free and Cuba struggles with Dengue fever which can cause fatal bleeding out) Get an anti-biotic to provide some measure of protection against stomach organisms.

I will not be leaving the resort. Jungle Safari rides may increase the risk because the vegetation promotes breeding.

Note that even in Canada and the US there is a risk for mosquito borne disease like West Nile and Encephalitis.

Last year, I travelled to Ixtapa, Mexico in February and stayed at Las Brisas. It's a fabulous place if you want an adult vacation that is serene, sceric, with excellent food and service. Your weather is also GUARANTEED and no mosquitoes !The only reason I'm not returning this year: its a big world with many places to visit and too little time and money to repeat the experience.

victoria canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Fearful, couldn't have said/explained better! We are going Jan 12th (2 weeks) and looking forward to it. Why worry? take the pills, very litle effects for 95% of people, the shots are worse.

Just like you said there are many things out there at every location. Been to Mexico 13 times loved all the times/ resorts there, like any holiday go with the flow and relax. Now I'm not going to sleep in the jungle or buy a stale old pool of water, Were going to have fun in the sun and I hope DR is as beautiful as our freinds have said. If people are worried take the pills now for a week or so and see if there is side affects, theres a few diffrent kinds, I'm sure they have one for everybody in this day and age. Don't get me wrong I know Malaria is a harmfull thing, but so is smoking, just take so precautions. the reply earlier about "duct tape" is a good note as well, whomever sent it, thanks as well. Fearfull, hope you have a great trip!!

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Skipper,

Thanks for the affirmation and your good wishes. Have a safe , happy, and healthy journey! Best of the season.

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maleria in PC - to go...or not to go.....?

Yes, I agree. After spending much time on stressing about this....I'm just going on the trip, with the proper percautions, and it'll be fun.

It's true in that even if we were transferred to a resort in Mexico there are still risks, as with all trips, and it could possibly be overcrowded which isn't good either.

Besides, tourism is so huge for DR that I'm sure everything possible is being done to deal with the misqutoes.

Everyone, just go on your trips...have fun and be safe!!!