We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence is ok!!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Excellence is ok!!

Just got back from Excellence in August.This was our third trip to the DR.

We just weren't impressed with Excellence.

Don't get me wrong its a nice resort but it just didn't have the vibe as the other DR resort we stayed at. We did the Excellence club it's definitely not worth the extra money. Maybe if we were a room type person or people that like to stay indoors while on vacation then maybe it is. But for the people that like to be outdoors on the beach or don't spend much time in a room then don't upgrade to it. Its like just handing a couple of hundred of dollars away that the way we felt about it.

We vacationed at Paradisus Palma Real in December and by far this resort blew away Excellence in our opinion.

As far as service,food and especially the beach area.

Excellence beach is just to rough of a water for a beach person.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Sorry you did not enjoy yout trip.

Out of interest did you not know the ocean was rough at Excellence before you went?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence is ok!!

jimbav, i feel the same way, we spent 10 days at excellence the end of august and it was an ok resort. we had a great time and the resort has a lot of great things to be said about it, but needs improvement. we also did the club and was disappointed. it was nice to have access to the internet because i am self employed and needed it, and while we never ate there, except the first lunch after we arrived, the desserts were nice. we sat on the balcony a couple of times. i was disappointed in the rooms, the bath was way to small. i am awaiting the moon palace opening..but will wait to travel there after they have been opened awhile. i don't want construction going on while i am relaxing by the pool. and a note, even though i heard the water was rough at excellence, people would also contradict themselves with things like, it was rougher than some, but we could still swim, it wasn't that bad. it was black flagged a lot. but it was a beautiful beach with no other resorts around. a big plus. and the pools are nice. the mosquitoes a big no for me. to all those that love the excellence go and have a great time. we all deserve it..

Mississauga
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Jimbav,

Thank you so much for your post.

This is why the Forum is so great, we can all share OUR experiences and compare notes BEFORE we spend the money on our trips.

I tend to travel 2-3 times a year so to spend money on any resort that is sooo much more it is nice to hear all of the experiences.

That said we know we have to take each comment as is and know the ones that are right out in left field.

Beachlover

Virginia
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence is ok!!

I really appreciate the post too. We just booked EPC for the first week of Nov and I am very excited. We did not take the Club option as we are trying to keep the cost down. Reading your post makes me feel better about the decision. We are definitely beach people and I plan to bring a laptop. From what it sounds, I could probably find a wifi connection somewhere on the property if I need it.

As far as the rough water, I was not too keen on it as I like to swim in smooth water but my husband is the opposite. He's a former college swimmer/beach lifeguard/triathlete so he thinks it's a bonus. We rarely get to the beach these days so he is looking forward to some waves.

I am also looking forward to the miles and miles of running on the beach. When we went to Jamaica, I was disappointed with the running even though we made the best of it. I also like the idea that this is a remote resort as i don't like to be around crowds of people. We are leaving the little ones at home and look forward to a relaxing vacation at an AO resort.

Kay

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence is ok!!

sksjones

You should have a great time irrespective of whether you are in a club room or not as the level of service is very high anyway. That apart the interior layout of a standard junior suite is exactly the same as a club junior suite apart from the club one has a plasma TV and an in-room bar.

Roll on next Monday

Mississauga
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Sksjones,

The running on the beach is fantatic. My husband and I were gone so long when we were at the Sirenis my parents thought we got lost. We really just did not want to turn around and go back. Breathtaking really.

Beachlover

Alberta
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence is ok!!

I always find it funny when people comment that the ocean being rough. Growing up next to the ocean it is not the ocean unless the waves are hitting the beach. I love the sound of the ocean has the waves move back and forth.

To me it is the ocean it is cold, windy and rough. If I want warm and clam I go to the pool.

I can not wait to once again walk in the water with the waves hitting my legs. But, I do think it will be a bit warmer then what I grew up with.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Oceansky80,

I can absolutely agree with your comment about the ocean the sound etc. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean, province of New Brunswick. If the water was 68 degrees on a good day we felt it was like bathwater. Really once your legs go numb you didn't even notice. honestly. My concern is about an undertow. I have been to Uvero Alto beach. Personally I am not a strong swimmer.

I had a very scary experience when I was in La Romana with an undertow. Seriously walking not even knee deep..Sucked me out and through me back onto the rocks.. more than once...

Beachlover

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Growing up on the east coast of the US, and spending summers "down the shore" in NJ or on Cape Cod, I like rough surf, too. Perhaps FF can elaborate. If it's "black flagged" does that mean that they will stop guests from going into the water, or is it just a warning - a "swim at your own risk" kind of situation.

Reason I ask, is that it sounds like a few respondents to this post would not be happy, if they were prevented from enjoying the water, even though they don't mind swimming in heavy surf.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence is ok!!

Hi

We also love the sight and sound of the waves - particulary at night as several part of the beach are floodlit and last year the two ocean front rooms we stayed in had great views.

Roll on Monday night when we can have a late night drink on out balcony and admire the view again