We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline prices going up

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Airline prices going up

Hurricane Ike is bringing the prices back up. I was just looking at some prices between yesterday and today and their is about a $30 rise in Flight Tickets and according to reports it will go higher

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline prices going up

Try $300-$400 more here in Canada, and some sites are claiming (falsely) to beat the Fall increase, and that was overnight on the 8th of Sept. Maybe they're saying tgere's going to be another one very shortly. I think if that do that here again in such a short period some folks may forego their winter vacation.

Now that REALLY sucks.

Deb.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline prices going up

people over here are getting scared to book ahead for next year because we have had three airlines and tour company's go bust just this week. its getting very scary out there.just now. i think we will wait til last minute to book for the springtime hols. bg

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline prices going up

Buchanan

I'm afraid every one is gonna be doing the same.

Very worrying time for us travellers.

Don't these airlines realise we're not made of money Oil goes down $40 a barrel & they wanna put up the prices. Go figure.

Lets just hope they don't put the Dom Rep out of the reach of normal people (price wise)

Having found "paradise" would hate not being able to go there again

Happy Hols (while we can)

Sparky

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline prices going up

sparky, we fly out to punta cana on the 29th , 1st time to "paradise" so hope all will be well. bg

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline prices going up

Hi bg

Oh are you so in for a treat.

The place & people are the "BEST".

We're going Oct 9th , I guess you'll be doing steves bar if so what wed are you going??

Happy hols

Sparky

Black Country UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline prices going up

A report in our local evening newspaper quotes chief executive Willie Walsh of British Airways predicting 30 more airlines would go out of business within the next 4 months.

We are due to pay the balance of our holiday next wednesday 18th, bit worried now as to what to do. If we cancel all we lose is the deposit, but also lose the holiday in December.

Flying on Thomas Cook airways, so, just might be "ok".Still in a quandry though as what best to do.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline prices going up

following on from this - according to Sky news today - both Thomas Cook and Thomson issued statements saying that their financial status was in order.

still not counting my chickens though, from what I've heard,XL were still takng bookings up until the crisis hit)

feel terrible for XL customers, 2 people I work with were due to travel shortly to Florida and have lost their holidays.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline prices going up

Wow, 30 more airlines? How many do you have over there?

Cheers,

Debbie

Oakhurst, California
Level Contributor
378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline prices going up

I found a fantastic site for keeping an eye out for the best air prices,,it is www.airfarewatchdog.com, I actually found it on Trip Advisor you should check it out. It will not keep the prices down but it will help find the best prices going..:~)

Ready

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline prices going up

Hi All

I would suggest that there is no point in cancelling.

For a start you lose your deposit and whoever else you go to might just as easily go bust .

As long as you've booked with an ATOL registered company your monies safe, providing you booked the package and not just a flight.

Even last minute deals are no guarantee of safety as has been said . XL were taking bookings up untill the midnight before..

All we can do is hope for the best.

If everyone starts holding back on booking hols then it really could get "Messy"

My biggest concern is that if more companies go under then there will be less for us to choose from this will limit the amount of "bargains" to be found.

I definately don't want to go to "blacpool" next year!!!!!

Appologies to anyone from there LOL

Happy hols

Sparky