We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why no Sandals Resorts?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
753 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Why no Sandals Resorts?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone had any idea why there are no Sandals Resorts in Punta Cana or Mexico. I really like them & was just curious. Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

there is most likely to much compatioion in those areas

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,624 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

Hi

Because "Butch" likes to be top dog and does not like other great AO Resorts on his patch

Which ones have you been to and why do you really like them?

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

"Butch" has owned land in Punta Cana for almost 10 years.

He really has seen the light and sticks to smaller locales with less competition, while they give excellent service at Sandals and I have been to some, I really feel it would be a tough thing to compete in the DR considering Sandals prices.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,624 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

He is also getting very protective of who moves onto his patch in the likes of Jamaica

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

He could bring his own airline in too, Air Punta Cana!! Does he still own Air Jamaica

canada
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

Butch knows that people are turning to the Dominican resorts more & more because of the inflated costs of his Sandals resorts. I tried the Sandals St.Lucia & Sandals Antigua, and I paid twice as much as the Grand Palladium Punta Cana, and his product couldn't compare! His were much more fancy in appearance, but much more lacking in warmth, service & ''Beach''.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
753 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

I guess I see the point. I've stayed at Sandals Dunn's River Falls & Sandals Grande, both in Ocho Rios(really like it there). I like the laid back fun atmosphere. Not too crazy, but not quiet. Very beautiful but not snobby. Friendly,friendly,friendly!! I can't wait to check out Punta Cana. I just need to decide on a resort! I've heard great things about area. Especially the beaches. Thanks again!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

while his resorts are a very good product he would not be the top top dog in PC compared to others, so his rates would need to be comparable reasonable in comparison to others, so a Sandals PC would be very cheap compared to the other sandals. people would come to the PC one and his others would stay emty.

his Jamaican Air over here??

no way

happy travel

Mike

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,624 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

Suzi

I have been to both those resorts and Excellence Resorts beats them hands down

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why no Sandals Resorts?

My husband and I have been to the Sandals in the Bahamas and Sandals Regency in St. Lucia last year, while we liked the one in the Bahamas we weren't so impressed with the St. Lucia one, so we decided to try something different and I found the Excellence resorts, it was cheaper then sandals and from what I've heard better. So hopefully in December we will have an wonderful time at excellence punta cana!