We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a camera - question???

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a camera - question???

Morning All

We need to buy a new digital camera for our trip at Christmas as I dropped ours on quarry tiles in our kitchen and surprise surprise it has'nt worked since.

It has been suggested to us that we would get a better deal if we made our new purchase in Punta Cana rather than UK Gatwick Airport.

Any suggestions - would Bavaro Plaza have a camera shop? I'm a bit reluctant to be honest as I would feel safer about guarantees etc if purchased in the UK but hubby is keen to explore the possibilities.

Thanks

Sara

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Bavaro
Plaza Bavaro
150 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a camera - question???

One big issue with buying out of your Country of residence is warranty. I purchased a new camera on ebay a couple years ago, but it was not a dealer from Canada I bought from (I'm in Canada). The camera I purchased (Nikon) does not come with a warranty that is supported by any local repair shops and will have to be sent away if there is a need for repairs. I knew this prior to purchasing it and accepted the responsibility going in. They refer to these cameras as "gray market" cameras.

I'm not sure if most camera's are the same way, but I suspect they probably are. If you do purchase as you suggest be sure to do your home work. There are alot of unscrupulous dealers out there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a camera - question???

I would think about it very carefully, and weigh up the pros and cons; I don't know how much you'd save, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth saving x amount on a product that might not have a guarantee, and that might cost you a lot to have repaired if it breaks.

It might be worth shopping around a bit in the UK. Gatwick Airport, even though it's duty free, tends not to have great deals; you're more likely to get a good deal if you shop around. For instance, my partner is looking to get a Canon digital SLR, which on average retails at between £500-530 in the UK. He's managed to find a deal through Jessop's for £430 including extras.

Do your research, find which model you want, and look for the best deal back home, then compare it to what you'd pay abroad. If you're not going to save that much, I personally would buy at home for peace of mind

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a camera - question???

It may be possible to get a good price on a camera in the DR, but I have to say my eyes popped to read that you could get a better deal there than at home.

I had a camera that died on me on day one of my vacation. I couldn't go a week without a camera so I had to buy one there. This was a couple of years ago, but the camera was a bit old so though it shot video, there was no mic and there was no sound. It was 3.2 MP when most were then 5 or 6. It was overpriced. I then had to buy memory and batteries for the camera since it took different of both than the camera I'd just lost. If you don't know what you're going to find on the other side, you won't be able to pre-stock yourself for that. After the currency conversion, that outdated back up camera cost me over $900. I could've bought the camera and all accessories in Canada for less than half that.

Unless you can get the confirmation of a store, its offerings and prices before you go, I wouldn't count on getting a deal on this kind of electronic item.

Kaki

P.S. My little camera is still working great and goes on vacation with me each time as my back up camera in case my "good" camera which cost half the price of the other decides to fail.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a camera - question???

Thanks for your replies - my DH is convinced that he will get a better deal in DR, I'm not so. Think I'll just look in the uk for the xmas deals.

Thanks again

Sara

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a camera - question???

Your DH is wrong and will be disappointed!

We have an apartment here. Yesterday was spent in Santiago looking for some more bits & pieces for it that we couldn't find in Puerto Plata on previous trips. We still haven't bought new light fittings because everything we found was poor quality and over priced. On previous trips I bought a TV & DVD player for probably 50% more than in the UK, and I had a Spanish speaker negotiating for me!

Cameras will be more expensive here. If you pay cash you 'might' get a price that is close to that back in the UK. So you'll pay at best, the same, for a camera without a guarantee. Even deals in the US aren't as attractive now due to the currency fluctuations. I have a Canon EOS 5D which was £3,000 in total. I could have got it cheaper in the US when the dollar was $2 to £1 but decided against because of the guarantee being invalid. My local Jessops store were the best price, price matching www.warehouseexpress.com/ Warehouseexpress are cheap but their service is appalling. Try www.7dayshop.com who I use for most of my ink & paper etc. They are consistently well priced and their service is excellent. In my experience, both of these are around the same price as Dixon's duty free prices.

As you broke your last one, perhaps this will be a good replacement?

warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx…

Jump on it, drop it on the tiles or in the sand, take it in the pool or the sea with you... perfect vacation camera! Had a look at one in Dixons at Manchester Airport on the way out, managed to resist the temptation!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a camera - question???

Thanks IOM Keith - I will definately be looking into this one.

Look's just right for someone as clumsy as me. lol

Sara

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a camera - question???

poppy,

I would have to agree with the other posters here.

There really isn't anything cheap in the dominican!

Buy the camera at home.

For heaven sake to buy a bottle of sunscreen there that would be $7 is priced over $20 there!

You pay $6 for a can of potato chips.........

He is going to be sadly mistaken and you may not have vacation pictures.

Also, I hope you can communicate in spanish, because the store employees may not, and you may just not have what you think you are buying.

I love the dominican ( as the name says) and by no means what to sound rude, but you're going to pay ALOT more than at home.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a camera - question???

Those sunscreen and chip prices are resort prices, inflated because they know that people will pay the price for convenience, not wanting to leave the resort. You can buy those items for close to the same price as at home if you head to a department store ($7 for a bottle of sunscreen, etc.) but still not much of a deal. I've found some things that are cheaper in the DR, or at least a good value since they can't be bought at home and are similarly priced, but it's not much. I don't know how Dominicans manage it, making SO very much less than we do in a year and we complain about store prices.

Kaki

newcastle
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a camera - question???

not having priced anything in the DR I still believe things like cameras would be more there, the reason is I have a friend whose husband is from the DR and she was telling me that once they land in PC airport they split up as her husband luggage is almost always searched, I asked her why and she said they suspect returning Dominicans of smuggling in electronics

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,294 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a camera - question???

I would also advise against buying a camera abroad. You can get great deals by shopping around on the web. You can get some great cameras for very competetive prices online at sites such as Jessops.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk

Also, you have to think about what memory cards the camera takes. Buying abroad might mean you have to buy a whole lot more of a different memory card, and you will definately not get them cheaper than in the on the web, or even from high street retailers.