We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donations - assistance needed

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Donations - assistance needed

received a phone call tonight and a local merchant is totally disposing of all his unsold children's clothing from his store.....as much as 10 suitcases full.

We have spoken for it all and will store it but need to find individuals who are heading to the DR in the next while to transport these donations to either Puerto Plata or Punta Cana.

If you live anywhere in Southwestern Ontario (Woodstock to Windsor) and can help deliver these donations as part of your luggage allowance we would appreciate it immensely.

Please pm myself or gregnlynn

Your assistance would be appreciated.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Sorry Wud...too far away. If you could get it to me I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Oh darn, me too, I would love to take it for you. Even got my waiver for extra weight ready.

Cheers,

Debbie.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donations - assistance needed

I am certain we will manage, there hopefully will be lots of volunteers.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Oh darn, me too ... LOL

Bumping for the cause ...

Peace

Lea

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Just an idea...

Why don't you try contacting one of the tour operators or airlines that fly from your area to the DR and ask if they would take it down free of charge. I'm sure you could arrange for someone to collect at the other end.

It would be nice to see the people who make a lot of money from the island and it's holiday industry doing a little something in return.

Like I said, just a thought.

Keith

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Hats Off... to the thoughtful merchant and all those who assist in getting the clothing to those families who truly need it, especially to you hlywud and all your Canadian friends who donate so much of your time and energy to helping the children.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Donations - assistance needed

What a great store owner to think of that.

Sorry, we are heading there early december but live in Prince Edward Island.

Bump.........

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Hi hlywud

We live in Hamilton (flying out of Toronto) and are going on Feb. 13 for 2 weeks to the Barcelo Punta Cana and I would be willing to take some clothing down with us if it has not been done before than. We are flying Air Transat Club Class so my weight allowance is a lot more this time around. Good luck in finding some D.R. vacationeers near you to help out. Hywud just P.M. me if you need any help.

Happy Traveling

Ron

Ottawa
Level Contributor
593 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donations - assistance needed

Do you think that WestJet could help out? Here is what they have on their website:

Checked baggage for humanitarian aid

Each guest may bring, in addition to the checked baggage allowance, one piece of baggage containing humanitarian aid items, at no charge. This piece must fall within the size and weight dimensions and should be packed separately from personal belongings.

Please note the following restrictions:

This is only available for flights departing from Canada only.

The piece must not exceed the size and weight dimensions shown in the Checked Baggage table above, and should be packed separately from personal belongings.

Excess weight fees may apply if applicable.

canada
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donations - assistance needed

I would really love to thank the store that gave me all these items yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot name them. Seems that their head office has a strict "no donation" policy. A friend of mine is one of the department managers in this store, and they must THROW AWAY any unsold merchandise, rather than donate as they want to keep all donations at the corporate level only.

Needless to say...both she and her boss could get in trouble if the head office found out.

SO to that large unnamed store....THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

Lynn (currently sitting in a room with more kids clothes than I can believe!!)