We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

Allendale, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

Looking to go to either of these resorts in January. Any opinions as to which resort is better? We have been to the Bahia in Punta Cana and LOVED it, but heard that this resort is smaller and the beach isn't the greatest. We have always wanted to try the Iberostar chain, hear they are nice. We aren't too picky, just looking for a week of relaxation and decent food, and one or two great excursions. Both resorts are priced similarily through Apple. Any opinions or advice?

Thanks in advance.

WI
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

You will enjoy the ID, lot's of Europeans but they are polite, some topless. It is a very clean hotel w/ lot's of activities & nitelife, has a small grocery store, mall & doctors office, the beach is beautiful, it is crowded but nothing new to DR.

Go!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

We are going to the ID on Friday. Last time we were there it was perfect for us. We do not need a fancy vacation, just a place with good food, clean rooms and the beach - it was i believe the best area of the beach on the coast. The rooms are very clean, lots of variety for food (including specialty restaurants and buffets) and very good massages. We did not do any excursions, except walk on the beach on our own. You really can not go wrong with this resort. I will be sure to post my review when we get back. We also are going through Apple.

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

We have been to the IB Dominicana, Punta Cana, and Bavaro previously and would like to try something different in the Bavaro Beach area. The Bavaro was the best, and we are looking to not take a step down in service, food and drink quality, accomodations, etc.

We have been considering one of the Bahia's in Punta Cana.

I would like to know from others which Bahia would be recommended as being comparable to the IB Bavaro.

We are also open to trying one of the RIU, Majestic or others in this stretch of beautiful, very walkable beach. All comments and opinions welcome.

Allendale, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

Thanks for the thoughts so far! I was leaning towards the ID.

To Markinnova: two years ago we went to the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana and LOVED IT! It is a huge resort complex with plenty to do, and the grounds are beautiful. You may want to consider...

To Ountacana: Please post your trip report when you return. I'd love to read it. Have fun!

I had heard that there was some construction going on in the Iberostar complex, anyone know for sure?

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

My first ever trip to the Dominican Republic was to the GBP La Romana(Santana Beach Resort back then). We had a great time there but if you're looking for a great beach don't go. Both owners of the place have spent tonnes of money on trying to improve the beach. No amount of money will ever do the job. They just recently replaced all the sand but the problem is the very, very murky sea water.

The hotel is also very secluded, pretty far away from La Romana. There are much nicer beaches near La Romana. Search Bayahibe for some nice hotels.

Happy Travels,

Rob

6. Re: Iberostar Dominicana vs. Bahia Principe La Romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 23:19