We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair straightener problems??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hair straightener problems??

When I went to Europe last summer, my hair straightener died the second I plugged it in. The replacement doesn't work when we go to Northern Ontario either. Must be a voltage problem??

Has anyone had a problem using a "Chi" hair straightener in Punta Cana?

I'm thinking about bringing a surge protector if that would help.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair straightener problems??

It will probably work but to be honnest its a waste of time. I always bring mine but as soon as you step out of your room your hair will be frizzy again. My only solution now is to get my hair braided.I've tried everything all kind of products from my hair dresser and NOTHING works. Good luck and have a great trip.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair straightener problems??

yeah.... I was gonna say something along those lines, as well. Straight hair in the Caribbean.... for the most part, a losing battle. I just "embrace" my curls for the week, and leave all the appliances and frustration at home.

Florida
Level Contributor
398 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair straightener problems??

You ladies look just fine with the wild frizzy look so just let it go unless you are trying to impress other ladies cause men dont really notice hair doos

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair straightener problems??

my wife says a lost battle in the DR.

You must use some organic substances to massage thru your hair to vitalize the root structures to stop the frizzies, she swears by this stuff and do not laugh it apprently works

www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html…

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair straightener problems??

Thanks for the replies. I really am not vain, just want to clean up for dinner after spending every, single solitary minute during the day in the ocean, on the beach, in the pool, snorkelling and deep sea fishing!!!!

I am so envious of people with curly hair. Mine just gets sucked to my head as though there is a vacummun cleaner pulling it in, when it's humid hehehe

But seriously, in Europe this past suumer, my straightner made a funny popping sound and then never worked again. I don't want to kill it's replacement.

kitchener
Level Contributor
687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair straightener problems??

i have curly hair naturally and I wouldn't even bother bringing a straightner, the minute you leave your air conditioned room..poof will occur. What helps is leave in conditioner and a balm to control frizz.

You could always chemically straighten your hair and that would solve the problem but have it done by a pro with experience in this. It's not permanent, it's a perm in reverse.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair straightener problems??

It's true, Seagurl, sad, but true.

We curly haired girls are going to be curly haired, whether we like it or not in the DR.

I've tried it all and the only thing that works is using a great curling balm or gel and going with the wild look of a head full of bouncy curls.

Y'all know that nothing looks worse then a curly haired girl who tried to straighten her hair and then had it refrizz partially!

A big fat curly ponytial in a hat is another option while on the beach!

I'd kill for pin straight hair. I had it permanently straightened once and loved it while it stayed, but the regrowth was a nightmare.

As Pooz says..." Embrace your curls!"

And having a job where I now work with all men...the dude is right on the money when he says guys don't care about the state of our hair!

Stay curly, natural and bounce those curls!

-Surf:)

Regina, Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair straightener problems??

I used my straightener in Punta Cana in 2006 with no problems. I also used my Chi iron in Mexico last year with no problems. I still found that I didn't get the same results because of the humidity but it got rid of the kinks.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair straightener problems??

No, no, no!!! You all don't understand. I would kill for kinky hair. I wish I had curly hair!!! :-)

My hair has just a bit of a wave, otherwise is completely straight.

I have the style that Posh Spice(Victoria Beckham) used to have, you know tha bob that is shorter at the back than in the front?? I need to just straighten the front, longer part......just a bit.

How lucky am I to be sitting here, laughing, and trying to figure out if I will be able to straighten my hair???

Did I mention anywhere that we leave in 9 1/2 days???

Yippppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
805 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hair straightener problems??

I've got mostly straight hair with that horrible baby wave to it in humidity.

amazon.com/Oscar-Blandi-Jasmine-Oil-Serum/dp…

Best stuff for tropical climates. It protects and keeps your hair smooth, even in Caribbean weather.