We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Friends of ours have booked a trip at this hotel for April. They want us to go with them but the reviews seem pretty bad.

Anyone been there recently? Is this hotel as bad as the reviews indicated?

Thanks.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

We are going april 13th -26th bad reviews or not. If you search through the reviews you will see good reviews as well. Alot of it is personal choice and what you expect for the price. I have been to 11 All Inclusive resorts from 3 stars to 5 plus stars and had a great time at them all.

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

If you book a cheap vacation the bottom line is don't expect much. Take the reviews for what there worth. The bottom line is these people paid money to be at this resort and had a bad vacation. I read about the first 10 bad reviews and they basically state the same things from dirty rooms to bad service and etc..

We never stayed at this resort so i couldn't tell if it is as bad as the reviews state. But you must realize when you book a budget friendly resort its not going to be a top of the line place and you will get more bad then good reviews.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

We were there for 11 days a few months back and had a good time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Please also keep in mind that many folks will go out of their way to make sure if something happens and doesn't stand up to par, is out for everyone to see. Those who have a blast are less likely to get online to let the world know, however, will spread the word by their friends and so on. That is unless you are someone who frequents TA for reviews on resorts and such, many just don't think about it.

So as we start the new year, remember to remind and encourage everyone that takes a great Vacation/Holiday to return home and write a review on their experience. As you know, some of us are addicted to knowing what others thoughts are....

Best Wishes to Everyone as we start the New Year!

Bobbie

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Hi there

No it's not as bad as the reviews make it sound.

Granted there are a couple of areas in which they can improve. they are aware of that & are working on it.

I think their biggest problem is the huge difference between re-furbished & non re-furbished rooms.

I did suggest to management that they re-structure their pricing. If they were to make the re-furbished rooms the "standared" & offer a "discount" for the non-refurbed rooms .

Then people "opting" for the older rooms for "budget" reasons would (I think) be less inclined to complain.

The Vendors visit most DR hotels so that's not a unique issue.

Food is an individual thing.

We've been 3 times & would return.

But only if the price stays as it has been, way things are going with the $ - £ exchange .

Barcelo might just end up being fond memories for us.

Happy Hols

Sparky

PS If you do go & enjoy , please put up a review.

Brantford,ON
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

I just got back and posted a review. I have been to DR 7 times now, and i post a review each time. This is the first time that I have posted any negative issues, not only because this is the first time I have run into any, but because I think TA readers want to know what its really like, from ordinary people, not just from someone who knows the director. Granted im sure most people go there have no problems, and had I not had such bad stomach issues on my return I may have overlooked the other "smaller" issues ie. lack of cleanliness, lack of service, etc. All 4 in my group had stomach problems, not just the drinkers, so you can't blame it on the fact that yes we did drink the alcohol (and no we did not spend the whole trip at the bars). There were always people at the front desk complaining, always a line up waiting for service. If you do go to this hotel, make sure you get some kind of shot before you go for sure.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

we always go prepared with Dukorol...Takes care of the stomach issues

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Hi again

If you want to check my review you'll find that whilst I like the place I don't look at it through "rose" coloured glasses.

Maybe I've been lucky with no stomach probs.

I have been "Loose" but I just think that's Par for the course.

Barcelo is not the "Best" but it's not that bad !!

C'mon guys I don't think you can find a hotel in the whole of the DR which hasn't had a bad review.

If I'm wrong then I appologise!

Happy Hols

Sparky

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

My family of 13 stayed at the Barcelo in November and we had a great time. Sure the resort had some problems but not anything that would ruin our vacation. Please read my review but take what I say with a grain of salt. Reviews are individual experiences and things that bother some might not bother you. If your reason for going is to spend time with friends then I recommend that you don't sweat the small stuff. This resort has drinks, food, nice pools, gorgeous ocean and enough activities to keep you busy if you choose. I don't think that you'd be disappointed if you booked this place. Feel free to contact me with any specific concerns that you may have.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Premium - Bad Reviews

Thanks to all for your responses.

We are experienced travellers and have been to DR many times.

I think that as Mamea said, the plan is to go with some friends therefore we know this isn't the Majestic but we certainly wouldn't want to go somewhere where the buildings are falling appart.

Main issues would obviously be healthy food and decent rooms. Service is always hit and miss.

Thanks again and feel free to expand on this topic.

SlyGuy.