We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

This has to do with managing ones own expectations. The wife and I stayed at Excellence during March last year and all I can say is the resort could possibly be renamed "Perfection", and easily get away with it. From the quality of the rooms, service, music, grounds, food and drinks it really is first class all the way. To Roberto and Carlos.......keep it up, I just wish I could afford to go again this year.

Having said that, we took our 3 kids (20,18,16) to Riu Merengue in August......and yes I know it is not on the same level, however it was chosen for the atmposhere of a fun family vacation, just as Excellence was chosen for a private romantic vacation. From an atmosphere point of view it did not disappoint. The kids had a great time (24 hour bar, activities/games, beach, pool and animation team)so once again it was the correct choice. However the rooms, food, entertainment and overall level of service left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

So the wife and I have decided that we need to live our life and travel more. We may need to retire a year later to afford it, but as she says I'd rather see her in a bikini now than 15 years from now when we retire!

While I would have loved to return to Excellence or one of their Mexican properties, it's just to far out of our financial range this year. After research we have chosen the Grand Palladium Palace, loft suites, which we got for less than 50% of the price we paid for Excellence last year (which was still worth every penny in my mind.) I know it is not an adult only property, and understand that the Royal Suites are, but the Tour Operator has no rooms left in the Royal section so we will try to upgrade at the desk once we arrive. I've tried to contact the resort in advance, but have received no response in my attempt to pay for the upgrade. This fact alone has me a little worried about service.

Now to the point.....how would you compare the 2 resorts...what will be missing from the Palace when compared to Excellence. How do you manage your own expectations when you have had the best and are now trying the rest? Are we doomed to feel jaded having lived the Excellence life and no other resort being able to live up to our past experience? I just have fears that rather than great ocean views I could end up looking over a construction site or staff quarters, eating chewy cold steak and drinking warm draft beer, chasing it down with a red colour liquid they keep calling wine. Help me manage my new expectations!

canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Paying 50% less should help lessen the blow! No, you will not get better food or less crowded beaches at the Palladiums, but think of what you will get for the money paid: Great swimable beach, really nice pool, great buffet ( La Cathedral ) on bavaro side, nice sports bar with good drink choices ( Hemmingways ) on bavaro side, lots of other choices of buffets & restaurants & pools, and a comfortable room. That's not too bad a deal for the price!

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Of about 8 resorts in PC the Palladium was our favorite and then we went to Excellence... Yes we did prefer Excellence but I still highly recommend the Palladium to those that can't afford Excellence. For me one of the pluses of the Palladium is we found the grounds nicer, larger with more walking space and there were more choices for bars, pools etc since you get to use the facilities of the other resorts. Bring some walking shoes and enjoy the beautiful grounds of this resort. The actual beach at the Palladium is nicer and calmer. At Excellence we grew to love the quiet walks along the beach but the first couple days missed walking past other resorts and people watching. I find we are always comparing one resort to the next even if they are in the same class and price range. One has this, the next has that. You didn't mention when you are travelling this year and I don't know how much you paid for the Palladium but I saw some great prices for Excellence and I have a feeling they will continue to drop as dates get closer.

toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Going March 11 to March 18 this year, which I believe is high season for most resorts. We only paid $1038.00 CAD per person plus taxes for the week at the Palace, which appears to be a good deal for loft suites from what I can tell. And yes, saving 50% does help ease the pain.

I think one of the bigger factors why we enjoyed Excellence so much is that in comparison it appears to be a smaller resort than most, but still had such a large variety of food choices, more than most and no reservations required. Also the place seemed to ooze class....from the sax player, down to how they train their servers to pour wine. All staff appeared very well trained, consistent and friendly yet not intrusive. They just seemed to be there whenever you wanted something....in fact they seemed to anticipate it.

If you have been to both I would appreciate hearing from your perspective what the differences were....and if you had not been to Excellence would you have been impressed by the Palace nonetheless?

Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Hi!

We are going to be staying at the Excellence in February...and after reading your posts, I am even more excited to be going.

If I may ask, did you upgrade to Excellence club, and if you did, did you think it was worth it? We tend to spend most of the time reading in the sunshine, but my husband does like good wine, and I assume there are more wines available in club.

Thanks!

murillo
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

I'll be able to tell you on March 8. Going to Palladium Palace Feb. 21-28 and then the Excellence Mar. 1-Mar 7.Was at the Palace 2 years ago and it was nice.

Mountain Top...
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

We have been to Excellence twice its a great resort. We returned from the Palladium complex 1 month ago. We stayed at The Royal Suites Turquesa the Palace is next to it. The Palladium complex is a good resort but Excellence Resort has so much better overall service.

Laconia NH
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

hi There! You are right! It could be renamed Perfection, my husband and I went to Excellence in Punta Cana two years and the only one thing that was a negative (which I quickly forgot!) was the long ride.but was worth it when we arrived,loved everything about this resort. Last year we went to Iberostar Bavaro, it was nice, but very large resort,lots of kids, not romantic, infact the Iberostar Costa Dorado in Puerto Plata was much beter, smaller, better food we took our daughter & son-inlaw and granddaughter 1 years old, its a nice family resort we have been to 5 other Iberostars in Playa Carmen also, and travel to alot of the resorts in the Carribean, and many cruises, but I must say n hing compares to Excellence. This year we are going to Royal Catalonia in Punta Cana, great revews but my expections are not real high. If I could of afforded Excllence I would go.But we are going to relax, and its Adults Only! I'll keep you posted! Hope you have a wonderful time. NH Ogleman!

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

We have been to Excellence in PC and I don't think that anything can beat it. We went to Grand Oasis last year and it was great. We are thinking about going to PC Princess this year. Excellence prices have just gotten way too high for us this year.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Northerngirl1, we are goint to Excellence in Feb as well. You will love it. We went last Feb for our honeymoon and the place is like heaven. We didn't do the upgrade and again this year we have chosen not to. Everything was first class no matter which level you stay at. Maybe we'll see you there :)

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you be satisfied after Excellence?

Northerngirl,

It doesn't matter if you are in the Club or not when it comes to the wine. You are offered the same house wines at the meals and the same wine list if you want to purchase a bottle of non house wine.

Mike