We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Flyer

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bad Flyer

So here we go again... Every year about a week or two before we are scheduled to leave I start to get a pit in my stomach, can't sleep and start having nightmares because I am scared of flying.

Not scared enough that it keeps me from getting on the plane, but I will be a bundle of nerves until we land.

Anyone else out there with the same issue? Any tricks that you use to get you through it? I won't take drugs as I want to be awake and able to drink when I get there, and we leave at 6am so drinking is probably out of the question too :)

Jen

lancaster, wi
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Flyer

I dont really get nervous flying when it is my husband and myself but when my children go I do get nervous. I always take some dramamine or benadryl before I fly. It helps to relax me a little but not make me sleep. I am sure if you drank at 6 am it would be fine, it has to be noon somewhere.lol

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Flyer

I can totally relate. I HATE flying. Scares me so much.

I actually really like the drugged aspect. LOL

A lorazapam takes the edge off and makes me feel more "grounded".

We always leave at 6am too. That means leaving for the drive to the airport at 2am, so I usually don't sleep that night.

I have in the past taken a couple of travel tabs and they have worked well too. I actually managed to fall asleep. By the time we landed, I was wide awake and fine. They don't last much more than 3-4 hours.

Or....depending on the airline, a few mimosas for brekkie wouldn't hurt either!

-Surf:)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Flyer

I used to get motion sickness all the time. Now I fly way to much to worry.....If I die, I die.

Sorry if I sound harsh but that makes me feel better about flying. Go figure......but to be on the safe side I take dramamine plus I wear the braclets around my wrists.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Flyer

Hi Glan

Mommy FTO takes one Half of a Gravol (dramamine) but if drugs are out of the question try a ginger capsule available at most health food stores or pharmacies in the vitamin and supplement section ...

natural and takes away the oogalie boogalies from the tummy..

Cheers

Daddo

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Flyer

Maybe I misunderstood. I don't think it's motion sickness that's the issue with glammiregirl. I think it's nerves.

I know you're trying to avoid drugs, but if there was one that you'd be awake when you got there? Consider Xanax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanax

Of course, talk to your doctor. But, most physicians will write a scrip for two pills... one for on the way down, one for on the way home.

Other options.... hypnosis, meditation, biofeedback...

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Flyer

You`re right, I`m not sick, just scared! I`m ok once we are up but it`s the takeoff that i`m terrified of. Drugs are definitely out of the question - the first stop once we get our luggage is the snack bar for Presidente travellers :) Most anti-anxiety pills cannot be mixed with alcohol for at least 24 hrs, and frankly I`d rather suffer.

Jen

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Flyer

Jen.... talk to your doctor, get the facts. You might be right about the 24 hour thing between anti-anxiety drugs and alcohol, but dosages are so flexible, that maybe it's only 6 or 8 hours or something. Worth a call to your dr. to find out for sure.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Flyer

I know exactly what you are going thru.I'm the same way I will book then the panic sets in. What I do I take an Ativan or lately Gravol has been doing the same thing it relaxes me enough to get thru the flight and still in good shape to have a drink when I get there.Have a great trip. I still haven't book still waiting for a good deal. Nothing so far.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Flyer

It took a number of years for my husband to coax me into getting back onto a plane so that we could head to the Caribbean. That was in '05 and we have been back 6 times since! I too didn't want to take medication. One night I typed "Fear of flying" in Google and came up with this site http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/#enroll It is free and was a real help. That is not to say that I wasn't a bag of nerves before, during and after that first flight but keeping this information and some techniques for the "nerves" in mind each flight has become a little bit easier. Another thing that helped was the fact that this topic has come up before and I found out that I was not the only one sitting on that plane in a cold sweat. LOL.

Boston...
Level Contributor
427 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Flyer

its called Xanax LOL~ or ativan, but i prefer xanax. few millagrams and u are good to go.