We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Mania!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Killingmewithworry
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Malaria Mania!

We have been to PC twice and never took any anti-malarial medication. It seems that every year around this time, the media starts this frenzy about malaria in the Dominican Republic. Today I heard an ad on the radio (twice I might add)warning travellers. I've ignored the hype...thoughts?

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Mania!

I've never taken the pills, but this year I considered it, now we are 2 days away from departure and I have nothing, so fingers crossed, I guess???

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,810 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Mania!

Killingme, where do you live and what was the radio station?

Deb.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Mania!

We had to take the pills three years ago. I really can't remember if our travel agent just recommended them or if we HAD to take them. Never saw a mosquito the whole time but it was no big deal to take the pills. Better safe than sorry, right?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Mania!

Remember,

- consult with your family doctor on issues such as this - they will give you the best and only advice you should adhere to.

Our family doctor is very up to date on issues where his patients travel around the globe (and I might add that he loves to travel to the same destination points that we do as well) so we are quite comfortable in the knowledge and advice that he provides.

John

Brooklin

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Mania!

My doctor was primarily concerned with the Hep A & B shots when we told him that we were planning to start travelling. So, we got those right away.

Good advice John.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Mania!

Exactly John - we do what our family doctor recommends - and this year it was the Hep A & B shots-which we gladly rolled up our sleeves and took like a man-lol. The final of the 3 shots will be done in May I think.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
855 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Mania!

Deb - I heard the ad on 680news today in Toronto. I seem to attract mosquitoes and will ask my doctor about it but I think that's just the commercial doing it's job!

Killingmewithworry
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Mania!

Debinatore....I heard it on Chum FM in Toronto

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Mania!

Heard it this am on an Ottawa station too - missed who was sponsoring the ad tho - was it Health Canada or some drug company?

My Dr is in Punta Cana this week and she and her family are on Chloroquine. She has prescribed it for my family too for our trip in April. I picked it up at the pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to stay out of the sun and no alcohol while on this medication - hey! I'm going for the sun and fun! He also said that I would feel crappy the days I took the meds - which are prescribed 2X week. Since it's only a 7 day vacation - 5 if you take out the two travel days - doesn't leave much vacation time.

We were in Africa a couple of years ago and took Malarone daily, and it was really hard on the stomach, but wouldn't have dreamt of NOT taking it in Africa. I'm really debating if it is worth taking tho in Punta Cana...haven't seen any travel warnings either by Health Canada or World Health Org etc...has anyone?

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Mania!

I have been to the dominican republick 3 times in the past with my husband never took any malaria medicine and I was ok butnow we will travel with our babie who wil be 14 months at the time. I spoke to the doctor this week and she said just to make sure the hep shots are up to date and we will be fine. Hope it helps