We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Regina,Sask
Level Contributor
364 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

We have been to Cancun and Peurto Vallarta a number of times and are considering another winter vacation destination. I am very interested in your comparisons between Mexico and Punta Cana in regards to hotels,beaches, tours etc.

Calgary
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

Hi there duckster2,

If you haven't been to the DR then you gotta GO!!! It is Paradise on earth and I'm not kidding! I've been to the Mayan in Mexico & Puerto Vallarta and I also loved those places but if you go to Punta Cana and see that beach I am telling you - you will be hooked! The beach is picture postcard! They have alot of great hotels, the Dominican people are very, very friendly and they have kind of like the same tours as you would take in Mexico except for the Mayan Ruins of course.

Go - experience it for yourself! I am originally from Saskabush also! Cheers!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

What type of resorts do you like to stay at in Mexico? I, personally, much preferred Mexico to the DR. However, this is because I know I am uber-picky and like fancy over casual. I think that the DR is perfect for some people that really enjoy a more laid back atmosphere. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had stayed on the Caribbean side of the DR too.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

KyAmy, Just wanted to acknowledge your noteworthy self-awareness in being aware of your 'uber-pickiness'.

Makes me think that every reviewer should be asked to rate themselves along such a scale - might put out of place overly negative reviews in context.

And out of place overly positive reviews as well

mudman

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

I would say Cancun is much more commercial than DR. I found that people in Mexico would ask you directly for tips (outside the hotel) but we didn't find it to be like that in DR.

It depends what kind of holiday you're after really. In Cancun its really easy to get out of the hotel and there is great shopping but most of the DR hotels are designed so that people never need to leave and it isn't as easy to get about without paying for taxis all the time.

I loved both DR and Mexico though and wouldn't hesitate to go back to either.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

I think the beach is wonderful in Punta Cana -much nicer than in Mexico... I think its a more laid back vacation in PC also... I did love Mexico but PC is a different type vacation!

milton on
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

If you want to go to an American city go to Cancun (McDonalds Walmart etc), if you want southern island paradise DR is where to go.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

Punta Cana has the best beach by far.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

duckster2 - the question is what are you looking for when you go on vaca. DR is much more relaxed. There isn't mush to do outside of the resort. There are excursions and what not, but when it comes to shops and bars DR lacks. But personally the great beach and nice people make up for it. So if you are looking for great people and beautiful beaches you would love DR. I have been to Mexico many times and enjoy Playa del Carmen much more than cancun. I like to experience cultures when i go to other countries and cancun is so commercial. I say you should give DR a try and i know you will fall in love. We went to DR for the 1stb time last august and we are on our way back this july. Once you go you ALWAYS want to go back.

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
752 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

Been to both a number of times. One is not good, theother is not bad - both good, but in different ways. PC a bit more laid back. Beaches both fab. Culture different.

If you've already been to Yucatan, then try PC - you'll like it.

N&B

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers - Cancun verses Punta Cana Please Rate

Hello,

We've been to the Yucatan, Playa Carmen, and Puerto Vallarta.(Not been to Cancun)

As none of the English holiday companies go to Puerto Vallarta we have travelled there independantly. However, because of fuel prices and the weak £ it became prohibitedly expensive for us to go to in Jan 2009 so instead we went to Playa Dora on the North coast of the DR.

PD reminded us a bit of the Yucatan - lots of large resorts without much around them. You could have been anywhere. The beach was lovely and nicer than the Yucatan.

However, and this is where personal preference comes in. Although I prefered PD to the Yucatan, it was a little remote for me, and I much prefered Peurto Vallarta where there is more of a choice of what you can do off the resort. Also, I found people in the DR to be more 'tip hungry' than in PV.

However, we haven't yet been to the south of the DR and may find something which suits us a little more there.