We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kitchener,ontario
3 posts
Save Topic
where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

Hi All, just wondering where is best to buy alcohol. My last trip to puerto plata , I bought rum on the beach at the market but when we were at the airport leaving, the duty free was much cheaper. is it better to get it in town or wait until wait until duty free at airport?

canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

you can probably find rhum and what not on the beach, at the little flea markets along the beach. I remember seeing very cheap vodka at the airport in punta cana, 11.00$ us for a HUGE bottle, pretty good deal considering vodka is expensive. It really depends, duty free at the airport is always pretty cheap, but im positive you can get very good deals at the flea markets if you just bargain for the price you want to pay, theyre pretty good about giving it to you for your asking price.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

In Punta cana I shop at a supermercado in Beron.

Gregg

kitchener,ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

where is that ? is it only rum or everything? Would you say it was cheaper than the airport?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

I have never found Dominican spirits to be cheap at the airpot in either POP or PUJ. Maybe non-Dominican but I'm not interested.

Gregg

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

most duty free shops at the airport always have specials on sale,it's usually a hit or miss,i prefer to buy my liquor at the local grocery and have it all packed up,it's a pain in the butt to lug all that heavy stuff at the airport.If i reallly have to buy stuff at the airport i usually leave my carry on empty and stuff it in there.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

Gregg...are you a fan of Geico Insurance?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

Its cheaper to go to a Super market duty free is more expensive.

NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

What about cigars???

9. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2005, 20:41
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where's the best place to buy alcohol to bring back?

Gregg, how do I get to supermercado in Beron? Do I take a taxi? Can I take a bus, is it safe?

Do they sell vanilla, or other souvniers at this supermercado?

I'll be staying at Bahia Principe.

Thanks alot