We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
D&E
Hamilton
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Could some of you help me with some question and helpfull hints.

My kids are doing on their first trip down south by themselves. They have been with us a couple of times but Dad does everything so they didn't bother with things too much and the first time to Punta Cana. some questions are

What currency do they use.

Are there a lot of time share agents in the airport.

Do they pick up their bus transfer agents outside of the airport (we have had inside and outside).

What is the airport like

Any other hints that might help them

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Daddo's Hints

Bring US Cash with small bills for tipping...

Have a Pen Handy to fill out entry form on the Plane

No Time share people at airport maybe at resort

No worries at Airport clear customs get luggage and go outside to the right to the tour operators and they will give you your bus number...

At resort check in...if morning flight you will not get your room till 3 so have a bathing suit in your carry on

I put sun screen in a resealable baggie and put it in one of the front pockets in my checked luggage then its easy to get to when you get to your resort...(no liquids allowed in carry on)

Go to the tour operators breifing the next morning lots of helpful hints...

After every check point ..double check to see you have Passports Tickets Boarding Passes ETC

Cheers

Daddo

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Currency -- Dominican Pesos BUT USD is widely used.

Time share agents -- They are there but we have never been bothered by them. Tell the "kids" to keep the heads up and keep walking.

Transfers are picked up outside. There will be agents with signs and there are booths.

PC airport is one of my faves. It's small, clean and beautiful. They will deplane, purchase their tourist card, go through immigration (very easy), turn in their tourist cards and head to the luggage area.

Relax Mom......they'll be fine!

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Good advice from all. I would only add to hang onto your bags at the airport. There are many locals there who would like to take your bags to your transfer bus for a tip. Also watch on the return trip through the airport security - keep you eyes on your pocketbook/wallet as it exits the scanner. Nobody needs to look IN your wallet for anything, but it has happened.

D&E
Hamilton
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Thanks thanks thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Note tourist card is included in your package (a Canadian Tour Operator thing) and will be given to you on the plane with your imigration card to fill out

Daddo

D&E
Hamilton
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

They were told something about having to pay $10 for a tourist card ? any departure tax like in Cuba ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Our departure tax was already paid for when we booked the trip. Suggest checking with the tour operator.

Also note coming back after the trip -- DR has different rules about what can go in carry on luggage than Canada. Not sure if this would apply to any of your kids, but you cannot have any makeup in your carry on except for lipstick (I think I remember that correctly). I ended up having to move some of my things into my check in luggage.

Not sure if this happens often, but suggest to your kids that they keep a careful eye on information posted re which luggage carousel they should go to upon arrival. We waited some time at the one posted only to find out our luggage was being delivered to a different carousel. Not a huge deal since the airport is not that big, but just something to be aware of.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Time share's generally are for married, adult couples so if there are timeshare selling agents around it's not likely that they even bother to try to sell to a young adult (especially not kids).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Departure Tax is $20 US Cash per person and for the last few years it has been included in the package with Transat/Nolitours at least..not sure about Sunwing and the othere...I always keep $40US cash just in case there is a mix up...

Daddo

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help !! they are leaving tomorrow

Anyone who is travelling this Spring with Transat, the departure fee is included in your package.

I checked with my travel agent who confirmed with Air Transat.