We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving the resorts...

ct
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
leaving the resorts...

Hi...Thinking about a trip to PC -- is it dangerous to leave the resorts to go shopping or sightseeing? Any input would be great. I know some places say not to leave the resort grounds. Thanks

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving the resorts...

Please just practice safe travel, as you would anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings and make good choices. There is a lot to see off resort and many wonderful places/tours to visit!

It would be a shame to go to another country and not leave the property and explore.

Live once, enjoy!

-Surf:)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving the resorts...

No it is not dangerous to leave the resorts. The Dominican Republic is a safe country to sightsee and go shopping......you have to imagine that the resorts often discourage people from leaving and taking their cash elsewhere. It's a great friendly and beautiful country and you should definitely go and explore it. Take the obvious precautions as you would in any place you visit; don't be flash with cash or valuables and enjoy.....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving the resorts...

I felt a little uncomfortable when my mother and I left the resort together. To be fair, no one was rude or threatening, but they definitely were overly attentive to two blonde women traveling together. Several men came up to us and started asking my mother about me ("is she married?", "can I talk to her?", etc.) which was kind of odd, because I was right there...I guess it's a respect thing? Everyone was really nice but I'm sure I would have felt more comfortable had I been with my husband instead of another female. So just be aware if you are going out with just other females, you will probably get some additional attention.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving the resorts...

Hi there,

I travel alone and there are no issues to being off a resort - I don't stay at them in the first place.

Be aware of your surroundings is the best advice - most people are overly friendly and helpful.

Cheers,

TC

kitchener
Level Contributor
687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving the resorts...

If you leave the resort don't bring large amounts of cash. Don't be flashy, be respectful, and keep your wits about you.

Anytime you are in a place that you aren't familiar with you should keep your guard up, not because an area is unsafe but there are always "bad" people anywhere.

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving the resorts...

Hello,

It would be such a shame not to leave the resorts. I always feel that if you don't you could be any where and it's a bit like being in a prison (albeit a very lovely AI one !)

The DR is a beautiful island and there are so many things to see. For example the capital is the most amazing city and the trip there takes you through different areas so you get a better idea of the island. Just take the sort of precautions that you would do at home.

Have a lovely holiday both in and outside of your resort.

7. Re: leaving the resorts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 12:41