We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setting Yourself up for disappointment

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Setting Yourself up for disappointment

Good morning....a bit overcast today....

I have been reading a good number of posts in regards to all resorts.

there seems to be this misconception that you can ask for a specific room number and get it.

This could not be further from the truth. Heck...we have no idea what room will be available on the day of your arrival. No sense in asking for specific room numbers or exact buildings. It is just not that simple.

Yesterday I overheard a few at check-in loudly announcing to those really not interested in listenning (other guests), that they had clearly stated that they wanted room # xyz on thier booking.

Of course, they booked a deluxe room which gives no guarantee whatsoever of view or proximity to anything in particular....BUT....they heard on trip Advisor that these were the good rooms.

I await the poor review.

Please...forget the posts regarding room placement. You are 80% unlikely to get the room. Thus you end up frustrated form the start of your vacation.

Do not expect there to be upgrade options during high season. When a resort is near capacity there is no option available and if there is....this is a business...do not expect it for free.

Cheers...sun trying to peak out!

PCMike

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

Well said Mike.

Guelph, ON
Level Contributor
254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

I concurr!

Now cerveza me por some more!

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

That makes perfect sense Mike. I have never requested a particular room or Block. I have always accepted the room that has been prepared for us, and therefore have never been disappointed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
495 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

I am glad someone finally said it. You get what you pay for. People going expecting to get an upgrade because they cannot get the exact room # they want are just not living in reality. Just go and have a great time and don't expect something for nothing.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

You are so right Mike. It's seen all over these forums and people giving out room #s to ask for and/or building numbers. You get what you get there or any hotel around the world for that matter. Though is you are a repeat guest most resorts will do their best with what's AVAILABLE at the time of your check-in and take into consideration the package that you have PAID for.

When asked about a resort that I have been to, I will however, give people a resort map so they can consider what "area" of the resort would best suit THEM with regards to certain amenities most beneficial to them. What suits me may not suit anyone else, just like dinner.

I'm asked all the time for specific room numbers at a certain resort or what's the best location etc., I have yet to give anyone a direct answer.

Cheers,

Debbie

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

I try to make as many people aware of this as I can when responding to people posting with requests for "The best room to request" at a particular resort. You can see sometimes they get it, but lots of times they don't. You just know they're setting themselves up for disappointment and in some cases you can just tell you'll be reading about it in 8-10 days!

I'll continue to try and be that wet blanket when responding to such threads. I have thick skin :-)

-Brugal

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

That's totally correct! At the time of our bookings, we usually put in a simple "request" from our TA (in which she calls the tour company or hotel....on the phone with someone! hee hee) that we simply would like the top floor of whatever type of building(s) they have there and a king sized bed!

That's it....doesn't matter where it it as we are hardly in it except to change and sleep; and we do enjoy the walking if necessary to our room from beach/buffet or wherever! (helps with some exercise with all the eating! ha ha)

And this simple request still doesn't always work as we did put in this request for our trip to Cuba last year at the Sirenis La Salina (Veradero) and we still ended up with the bottom floor and 2 double beds! Oh well...like I said, not in there long enough...we just slept in one and used the other for putting stuff on. We did put in a request, however, to "see" IF they could get us another room on a higher floor and/or at least a room with a king sized bed. Hard to sleep in just a double when you come from a Queen! lol They did manage to get us in a room on the 2nd floor the next day though....it was nice of them to at least try!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

I saw the exact same thing when checking into Ambar last Sept. A couple became extremely upset when the young girl handed them their check in envelope and it was not the building they requested. I think TA's need to be very clear that it is just a request and if you get it its a bonus and if you don't you will be getting exactly what you booked and paid for ...Why start your well earned vacation P O..

daddo

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

Mike, while we are on the subject of requesting rooms I was wondering what your take on this was, or anyone else...

I'm sure many people request certain rooms or views because they "SAY" it's their anniversary, birthday, honeymoon or whatever... is anyone ever asked to prove this or do the resorts just take their word for it? We are all paying for the same resort and service so why should a birthday or anniversary take precedent over the next paying guest?

How many people have lied to try and get a certain room?

Cheers,

Debbie

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Setting Yourself up for disappointment

good question Deb, during our visit to the Amabr last year, it was our anniversary & wife's b-day. I know pretty sappy huh. Anyway I did bring our wedding certificate just incase they asked, and guess waht they did. I would never lie to get a better room, and how stupid would I have felt if I had nothing to back my request up.

In the end we had a great corner suite.