We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest method of calling britain

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
cheapest method of calling britain

staying at ifa villas from 18th march what is the cheapest method of phoneing home?

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

Many mobile phones are wi-fi enabled or if you take a laptop with wi-fi. With either of these you can use Skype at a wi-fi hotspot.

Skype to Skype calls are free world wide and are generally excellent quality. Also, Skype can be used to call landlines for a few pence a minute. You *can* call mobiles for about 10p per minute but I must admit to poor results when I tried.

I called Australia for over an hour yesterday, for free. Apart from dropped connection twice, it was perfect quality.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

unfortunatly we carnt use these methods is there another method

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

Hi Orchid

our mobile phones worked well out there, we are with o2.

I did buy a calling card from the resort which was a waste of money because the phone boxes only took certain cards (not the one they sold me!)

I had to use it in the room in the end, not realising that the hotel then charge you as well.

I will use my mobile for emergencies only

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Batley, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

We are with vodaphone does anyone know if this works in the DR, I have had the phone unlocked and it did work in Goa 4 months ago

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

You need a tri-band phone to work in the DR. I have a Nokia on Orange and have had no trouble using it there. Not cheap though. I think it was something like £1.75 per minute last year and there is a charge to receive calls too. The outgoing calls are rounded up to the minute so I had a friend time my calls exactly so I could finish up at say 1.58 minutes and not risk going into the next minute.

However, I prefered to do this than use the hotel phones. At least using my mobile the cost is within my control.

It is nice to phone home but we also used the internet every night. Last year at the Punta Cana Princess it was free, so we sent a report of our doings every day and made all our family and friends green with envy!

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

Should give you some answers. Long time customer, very happy.

7. Re: cheapest method of calling britain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 13:18